• David S

January 17, 2023 at 2:30 pm

Hi Martin –

Wonderful post – greater issue.

So sorry about what happened to you and your family.

I honestly had a hard time believing that US Soldiers were given:

Pyridostigmine bromide (PB)

Anti-nerve agent pill used during the Gulf War as a pretreatment to protect military personnel from death in an attack with the nerve agent soman. Supplied in the Gulf War as 21-tablet blister pack, with prescribed dosage as one 30-mg tablet every 8 hours.Mar 20, 2020″  https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/sources/pyridostigmine-bromide.asp

So I went to the internet and found the above statement.

Certainly chemicals are all around us and cause so much damage.  One might argue that they do more good than harm, but that is another conversation.

Thanks again for your post.

Scott

• Randy

January 18, 2023 at 10:32 pm

3 months ago the VA rated me TDIU 100% P&T (Age 73).  $ 3,600 per month.

I was at Anniston Army Depot 1972-74.  They stored nerve gas.  My Army eyeglass prescriptions were constant until prisms were added April 7, 1974, 3 months before my discharge.  The National Archieves could not find my medical records.  Luckily when I asked the VA for my “C File” (claim file), I found my Army Eye Exams.  It took a year to get my C-file because of Covid.

I have found that the raters don’t have any knowledge about MG, though it is on the original “Chronic Disease” service presumptive list next to MS.  The presumption only works if there is a symptom within one year.   “Buddy statements” can be used.

If someone wants to try a claim.  Start withthe following, File a letter of intent, to preserve an early effective date.  Request your C-file through a “FOIA” “freedom of information act”.  Find a Veteran Service Officer(VSO), try your local Veteran assistance group.  Tell the VSO that MG is on the “chronic disease” list.  I got VA exams after denials by talking to the higher level reviewers (HLR) and explaining what MG was and how I had a symptom while in the army.  If denied, read the rationale of the examiners.  In my case the raters had skipped the rationale parts that said I developed MG in the service.  I used the rationales as new evidence.  In my case, after denials, I used the binocular double vision as a primary claim.  The Optometrist examiner then said it was caused by MG.   It was a 3 year road for me.

• Lou Venema

January 20, 2023 at 10:51 pm

Hello Randy. I was at the Newport chemical facility from 2003-2008 when they finished VX neutralizations. It was there that I figured out something was wrong because I tripped so much walking around the plant. My eye doctor suspected mg and the opthamologist confirmed it. I was working on a claim anyway with VA so was referred to a neurologist there and have had treatment there since.

• Randy

January 26, 2023 at 3:57 am

Hello Lou.  I have always thought mine was cause by a trace amount of nerve gas.  I was in thee storage area about a dozen times.  I would like to talk to you about the VA claim process.  I could never find anyone to understood enough to help.  I can be reached through my facebook page.  I go to it every day or two.  My last name is “Rhode” not Rhodes”.  The soccer player is now 22.

Page 2 of 2