• bill-suphan

December 16, 2022 at 9:39 am

I enjoy a good cigar every few weeks but I have never smoked aside from that, especially cigarettes.  When I was 9 years old I had pneumonia so I have always been protective of my lungs.  It is difficult for me to get my head around a linkage between smoking and the onset of MG unless the smoking has enough of a deleterious impact on the body to accelerate the onset of MG or even cause it.

• john-siberski

December 16, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Smoked from 1964 (age 15) to 1977.  Earliest symptoms of MG may have appeared around 2000.  Diagnosed in 2009.  Not certain I can make any link between smoking and MG.  Depending on how the statistics are massaged, the recall of the subjects, and a lot of other factors, any putative linkage is going to be tenuous.  Still miss smoking but no desire to resume.

• june-robertson

December 16, 2022 at 9:15 pm

I have never smoked, nor has anyone in my close family. I was diagnosed at 17 years (now 78). When I was 22, two years after my thymectomy I worked for a scientific research organisation in Australia. I was reasonably well (maybe 6 x60mg Mestinon daily) but had a serious, but temporary exacerbation when exposed to nicotine sulphate which was used to “sterilise” cabinets for experiments. I recovered quickly but noticed in very smokey social environments I would become weak.

• suzanne-e

December 16, 2022 at 10:48 pm

I think it’s critical that these studies state the specific material that is being smoked — tobacco is miles removed from cannabis. I’ve never smoked tobacco and haven’t had much exposure, aside from living in Cairo for 2 months (air is basically saturated with tobacco) leading up to the onset of MG at age 22; however, my mom’s father smoked throughout her childhood (epigenetics ??). To manage chronic pain, I’ve used cannabis regularly for 13 years without any adverse effects, even with exercise-induced asthma (at least to my knowledge).

• jodi-enders

December 21, 2022 at 3:02 pm

I agree those articles and studies probably refer to tobacco instead of cannabis! However, it may be the inhaling and the act of smoking anything that triggers the MG.

I still use cannabis since MG, and it helps. But I smoked cannabis in blunt form with tobacco papers heavily for two years before my diagnosis at 21. Recent studies say smoking leads to a younger onset of symptoms for females.

I’ve always been interested in this topic. Super interesting if your exposure to tobacco air contributed to your onset. Did you smoke cannabis without tobacco paper at all before your diagnosis?
      – Jodi, Team Member

• suzanne-e

December 21, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I can definitely see the impact of smoking on my blood pressure / cardiovascular system, but it doesn’t affect MG for me. I only started smoking because I developed fibromyalgia about 6 months before the onset of MG (I had a positive ANA before studying abroad in Egypt — after that my body quickly fell apart, but it was a perfect storm / multifactorial). I’ve never used tobacco paper — just bowls & bongs. Given decades of chronic pain, I can wholeheartedly say I would not be here without it — especially with chronic overlapping pain conditions.

I’m still very curious though!!

• debbie-butler

December 18, 2022 at 12:37 am

I have smoked for 50 years, I have had MG 30 years in January.  I have never had the flu, bronchitis or any other type of breathing problems, either before or after the MG diagnosis.

• MikeS

December 22, 2022 at 2:35 am

I vape cannabis.  Normally I have no problems with it unless I’m having an MG episode, in which case the cannabis accentuates the symptoms and I have to stop it until the episode recedes.  Otherwise, it’s terrific (for me, at least) for moderating the pain and anxiety from MG.  I think the nicotine in tobacco might trigger MG in some people.

• delia-hernandez

May 23, 2023 at 2:26 pm

While smoking may worsen symptoms in Miastenia Gravis (MG), vaping cannabis may have a few potential benefits.

THC is believed to have pain-relieving properties, and some research suggests that it may reduce muscle spasms and improve appetite. However, THC is psychoactive, and its consumption may have a few side effects.

Vaping cannabis is considered as a safer option than smoking because vaporizing cannabis heats the herb at a lower temperature, which releases fewer.

• david-s

May 23, 2023 at 7:39 pm

I’ve been using tobacco products since I was six yo.  Cigs, cigars and pipes for a while.  Stopped cigs. about 9 years ago when I switched to vaping with a mod.  The amount of nicotine I take equates to 1/2 pack of Marlboro Lights per week.

Started smoking pot when I was 13 yo.  Stopped for many years during business and child rearing days.  Started pot again about 3 years ago after I became ill and before I was diagnosed.  I found it to brighten my day.  Just a couple of hits about 4 in the afternoon and again about 9pm.  I checked with my PCP and Nuero after I was diagnosed to check for possible medicinal conflicts.  Neither approved in it’s use but have accepted it.

S

• delia-hernandez

June 23, 2023 at 8:42 am

Nowadays, I prefer flowers over tobacco, to be honest. I’ve noticed that it brings me better benefits and they can be found in specialized stores.

• delia-hernandez

June 24, 2023 at 11:13 am

In response to those who are really interested in hemp-derived flowers, in my personal experience, it depends on the day. Sometimes, I feel relaxed, which is the main effect, and it helps me sleep. But if one is too anxious, due to the same problems of having a chronic illness, it can sometimes lead to desperation. In those cases, I would not recommend using it without first achieving a state of calm.

• minbran

October 11, 2023 at 10:58 pm

Stopped smoking after 52 years and went onto vaping which I’m convinced makes my ocular issues and double vision worse and about 3 months ago started getting distortion from one eye which made noses appear 3 times the size and even say watching tennis players on TV, they all appeared to have fat legs, which of course they don’t. So trying very hard to stop vaping and chewing nicorette gums like mad and yes Jodi, when I inhale(as you state), it may also contribute to the extreme tiredness issues I am experiencing as opposed to cigarettes, so whatever they put in these vapes, It’s far too strong for me(albeit I do like it) and I can feel it messing with my head particularly first thing in the morning as can feel quite feint, so really must stop!!!!