Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Hot Baths/Showers and Myasthenia Gravis

• Charles Karcher

August 25, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Very hot or long showers occasionally seem to lead to slightly labored breathing during the shower.  No lasting effect once the shower ends.

• John Ulfelder

August 26, 2021 at 2:51 am

I have only showered not bathed since my initial MG diagnosis. Even though I like I t hot,I’ve not had any problems I’m aware of. My neurologist has advised me that heat is the enemy of MG. As a result, I’ve not taken any hot baths or used our sauna, nor returned to workouts at the gym. I do miss them.

• Bill Wheeler

August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am

I have used a Hot Tub for 8 months post-diagnosis as I was never told heat could cause problems; I never had any negative effects that I recall. We sold that property and moved about 4 months ago and dont have aa Hot Tub at our new house. Hot showers seem to ease my muscle and joint pains as well as the overall malaise that sometimes accompanies my getting up in the AM [ that malaise is similar to what I experienced with Lyme Disease which took 3 years to get over and multiple treatments with zithromax---mmm, any connection with zithromax and MG onset?].  Hot weather does negatively affect me and I tire much more easily and my eyes dont seem to do as well late in those days.

• Amy Cessina

August 26, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I have no troubles with heat. But I am hypothyroid so I’m always cold so I’m usually glad to have some warmth. I do have issues with high humidity makes my breathing bad.

• Stephanie

August 28, 2021 at 12:01 pm

I have other issues in addition to MG & avoid hot showers because it seems to inflame my muscles. Lately though, I have an ear infection that closed an ear & I’ve started with heat to try & loosen up my sinuses but I switch to cold to cool down before I get out of the shower. I’ve also avoided the long, hot baths I used to enjoy because I found I didn’t breathe as easily afterwards & sometimes it would begin while I was in the water.

• Ella Guthrie

August 30, 2021 at 10:44 pm

I avoid hot showers as heat definitely breathing problems for me.  I learned a lesson the hard way about 15 yrs. ago.  I went from an outside temp of 96 degrees into a building that was no more than 66 0r 64 degrees.  Very cold.  it was for a doctor appointment, so I couldn’t leave.  After I left the building, I became aware that I was short of breath.  I got worse and after a couple of days I went to my  doctor.  She was very concerned, afraid I had a pulmonary embolism.  I didn’t but she told me to go to the emergency room for treatment.  This SOB lasted several mos., by gradually got better.  I avoid hot showers and don’t spend much time outside in the summer when the temp. goes into the 90’s.

• Scott McCormack

September 1, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Hot showers exhaust me on most days.  I have had to dial back the temp to lukewarm.  A hot shower is just one of the things I miss from my pre-MG days.

• Bill Suphan

September 27, 2021 at 10:07 am

I have walk in shower and find a hot shower reduces joint pain a lot.  It does make me sleepy afterwards.  I think a lot of that is related to moving around, etc. i.e. the exercise involved in taking the shower.  Heat has not bothered me much since I was diagnosed with MG almost ten years ago.

• Keith R Anderson

April 5, 2023 at 4:42 pm

I have been taking hot showers just before bedtime. Seems to be the best time since the hot water tends to fatigue me.