• Weight Loss and MG

Posted by BioNews Staff on January 12, 2022 at 3:13 pm

When I was first diagnosed with MG, one of my doctors told me that if I lost some weight, I would be able to handle my disease better. At the time, I was more concerned with dealing with my weakness so I ignored the comment about my weight.

Since then, my weight (like most people) has gone up and down but I’m not sure if it’s affected my MG.

Have you lost or gained weight while having MG? Did it have an effect on the severity of your weakness?

lion replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 14 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Dave Hall

January 13, 2022 at 12:53 am

Before I retired I weighed 215 to 220 pounds and was only 5’ 8”.   I was in sales so I was taking customers out for a nice lunch several days a week.  Plus I was taking my wife out to eat several nights a week and weekend breakfasts.   A year after I retired I was diagnosed with MG.  I was very lucky in that my PCP had worked with two patients back when he was an intern so my diagnosis was immediate.   Today, I weigh 155 to 160 pounds.   I now make most of my own meals and rarely go out to eat.  Did the MG effect my weight?  I don’t think so.  I just eat healthier and watch my weight.
    One other change is that I walk in a therapy pool for one hour a day, five mornings a week.

• Scott McCormack

January 13, 2022 at 10:04 pm

I have had a 10 pound weight gain, probably due to the 80mg of prednisone I take daily.  As far as affecting my MG (moderate gMG ACHR-positive), I can’t quantify any differences.

• Claire M Walsh

January 14, 2022 at 12:48 pm

My weight has remained exactly the same throughout my whole first year of MG. I was told I would gain, but I only got the moon face from the 60 mg/day of prednisone . I am now down to 5mg and the moon face is gone!

• Michael Van Alstyne

January 14, 2022 at 4:27 pm

I found with azathioprine I lost my appetite and the food didn’t taste as it should. Also, the chewing problem didn’t help either. Long story short I’m down about 20 LBS. but slowly gaining some back.

• TheresaG

January 14, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Three years on Prednisone has added 20 pounds. 2 years 5mg, last year 13.5-20.

I definitely feel the added weight has impacted my flexibility, SOB, and joint pain, but who knows. I was 10 pounds underweight prior to the gain, so I would be very happy to lose the 10. The weight is in my torso, which never has been an issue for me.
    need a new wardrobe, or maybe not as my social life is nonexistent, thank you MG. Lol

don’t think I’ll be off of prednisone ever, I am on IVIG, and as soon as we can stabilize the added prednisone, perhaps the azithioprine is something to look into if it does the same thing and same benefits.

opinion?

thanks for any input.

• Robert Davidson

January 20, 2022 at 12:55 am

I had been losing weight rapidly for 18 months. About 75 pounds. From 245 to 168. My PCP did all scans to rule out cancer. But I continued with weight loss even eating full meals. When I went to the hospital with MG, my Neurologist asked if I have had to sit or raise up in bed at night for breathing comfort. I had been doing that for about the 18 months. He said that he suspected I had a mild case of MG for those 18 months because even a slight difficulty in breathing causes the body to massively (his term) burn calories so that’s why I was burning more calories than I was taking in. When he got my MG under control in the hospital, I began gaining weight and am back to 206.

• John Ulfelder

January 22, 2022 at 3:21 am

I was diagnosed with bulbar MG a year ago. My symptoms were ptosis (droopy eyelids), which affect my vision (difficulty reading, with balance while walking, and unable to drive). No other weaknesses (legs, arms, breathing difficulty, etc.). Initially I was unable to chew and swallow, was hospitalized and had a feeding tube inserted (wonderful goop!) I lost 42 pounds. Due to swallow and speech therapy I regained my swallowing and eating functions. I now can eat and drink anything I choose. I have regained 14 pounds and my cardeologist is quite happy with my current lower weight and urged me to continue to maintain it. So far so good.

• David S

August 1, 2023 at 1:19 pm

Diagnosed in 2019 I weighed about 235#.  Feb 2023 I had gained a bit less than 50 lbs. and scaled in at 281.  We tried a variety of eating plans between 2019 and Feb 2023, including low carb and vegan plans with no positive results.  Prednisdone had a great impact on my weight as I always felt hungry. I continued to eat “normal” portions and my calorie intake far outweighed my exercise.

In Feb of this year we started a meal plan that is nationally advertised and am down to 244.  I plan on using this plan and get down to 225 and more after that.

The plan is easy to follow and eat what you order.  The meals are prepared and just use a microwave or frying pan to prepare the meals.  Fresh veggies and fruit are purchased at our local food store to supplement the provided meals.  When I get hungry now, I eat some veggies between scheduled meals and snacks.  This was new as I just ate veggies at dinner time.

The big challenge will be weaning off the Plan and cooking for ourselves again.

We are hopeful that we can continue to manage our weight for a healthier life.

Scott

• אורנה מונדשיין

August 2, 2023 at 9:12 am

For myasthenia patients it is very important to eat healthy food. What I would like to ask if anyone had lately low hemoglobin due to the disease?

• S. R. Prasil

August 2, 2023 at 4:23 pm

MG did not seem to make a difference in weight, but my weight seems to make a difference in MG symptom/severity. A 30 lb loss three years ago was simultaneous to an improvement. After gaining that back, I have declined some. Three days ago, I began working towards losing again and eating a better group of nutrients in general. Has not been enough time to tell yet, but I will keep you posted.

• MikeS

August 2, 2023 at 7:35 pm

Basically, when my Prednisone goes up, so does my weight, and visa versa.  I find that I cannot control my hunger/cravings until the Prednisone is below 20mg/day, at which point I can start reducing my caloric intake and excess weight.  This cycle repeats with each flare-up I experience.

• Alan

August 7, 2023 at 10:01 am

Hi all,

I was diagnosed in 2004, aftera major heart attack. I weighed 220, and worked in construction 7 days each week for years, Went through a million different medications and treatments, currently on IVIG, pyrostigmin, and asothiroprin. In February 2020 I crashed with covid, was admitted to hospital, intubation, with massive doses of steroids for many days. Spent 62 days total in hospital. All this time with no MG meds, Shaking like a leaf in a wind storm. I lost 70 pounds. My neurologist started meds and plasma exchange to stop the Shaking. Had 2 weeks of rehab to get my strength up enough to walk. Today I’m overweight, 310 pounds ,and diabetic and very tired all the time. Sleep is what I do, all the time 14 / 16 hours a day. The heat makes MG worse for me.

• lion

August 10, 2023 at 2:21 pm

Weight loss in the context of myasthenia gravis (MG) can be influenced by various factors related to the condition itself, its treatment, and the individual’s overall health. MG is an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder that can cause muscle weakness and fatigue, particularly in the muscles that control movement and breathing.

Here are a few points to consider:

1. Muscle Weakness and Activity: The muscle weakness and fatigue associated with MG can impact a person’s ability to engage in physical activity. This reduced activity level might contribute to weight loss if fewer calories are being burned.

2. Difficulty Swallowing and Eating: MG can affect the muscles involved in swallowing, leading to difficulties in chewing and swallowing food. This can result in decreased appetite and difficulty maintaining a regular diet, potentially leading to weight loss.

3. Side Effects of Medications: Some medications used to treat MG, such as corticosteroids or immunosuppressants, can have side effects that impact appetite and metabolism, potentially leading to weight changes.