Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Study linking MG with increased depression and anxiety

• Study linking MG with increased depression and anxiety

Posted by Scott McCormack on October 31, 2023 at 6:05 pm

In a recent MG News posting, German researchers linked MG sufferers with increased neuroticisms. This should come as no surprise to all of us that have MG. Since my gMG flare and diagnosis in 2021, my life has changed dramatically. Many physical endeavors that were routine are now difficult or even impossible. The treatment quest we all go on takes it toll also. Both self-doubt and overwhelming nostalgic thoughts of the life we had steadily creep in.

Their recommendation of psychological counseling in addition to neurological treatment is spot on. There is still a great life available after diagnosis; it’s coming to terms with the many changes that allow us to move forward.

Scott McCormack

paul spychalski replied 6 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Craig Whitney

November 1, 2023 at 3:26 pm

Thanks for this post, Scott. After my own flare up and diagnosis in 8/2022, my expectations for improvement in gMG symptoms were unrealistic. As months passed while gobbling down Mestinon, Prednisone, Cellcept, antibiotics, and two sets of Plex treatments, infusions of Ultomiris, and now Vyvgart, my symptoms are largely unchanged. Now, I’m fighting with depression. I would like to find out what experience others have had with anti-depressant treatments — what has worked for them.

• paul spychalski

November 4, 2023 at 11:39 am

What happened in your “Flare up”. I have had things happen also and would like to know if others have the same garbage!

• Gail

November 2, 2023 at 2:33 pm

Hi Scott. I’m new here and was dx with MG in March of this year. My symptoms have been bulbar and optical with much fatigue, insomnia, panic, depression, and wanting my other life back. I have been prescribed Trazodone for the depression and insomnia and Mestinon for the MG, but not able to take much of it due to side effects. Was started on Prednisone today. We will see. I’m glad I found this site for sharing and advice. Thank you all.

• paul spychalski

November 4, 2023 at 11:41 am

Pyridostigmine 60mg, 3x’s a day works for me. Mestinon didn’t work for me, maybe it was a Generic?

• ChrisM

November 3, 2023 at 11:12 am

Hey all, stick with it. 4 years ago I was in crisis and being fed by tube and then years of treatment, but it can improve, albeit slowly, but don’t give up.

My motto is trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

• Tina

November 3, 2023 at 3:46 pm

I still refuse to admit that I’m becoming depressed. But I will say that the feelings with MG are like a bad dream, that while waking from, you become aware it has components that are true, and you hope you’ll never have that dream again. That fear alone is enough to ensure you’ll have a similar dream again, which now has taken on a reality itself. I know MG is a permanent reality in my life, and so are the moods that come with it. I’m not frustrated or angry about it every day, and some days I still feel happy. So I don’t think I’m depressed, just having various feelings and moods about it and from it. Maybe I’ll become depressed, and I’ll probably deny it then too. But if I can put that off, keep MG from totally consuming me, I’ll feel like I’m still on top of it. But I have never had the level and degree of help in my life than I do now. I was always the helper, the doer, and that has definitely reversed, and I’m not happy with that, although I’m becoming more accepting of it.

• Tonykrony

November 3, 2023 at 7:38 pm

Hello Scott and others with MG.

I have struggled with most of the same things you posted about. I was dx in 2012. Since then I have struggled with Dr’s not knowing what to do, cuz they didn’t know what was wrong with me. Symptoms out of control, hospitalizations, rehab, to learn how to walk, talk, chew, swallow, & breath on my own following a MG crisis. I had to retire from my job as a Pharmacy Tech. My partner of 4 years couldn’t handle my handicapped life and we had to end our relationship. I had to sell my house and move. So with all that said, and I know it’s alot all I can say is DONT EVER GIVE UP!!. There is still so much to live for. Get help for everything you need. Therapist, family, & friends are a great resources. You will find your way. I haven’t given up, now I have a new partner for the last two years. New home in a different city, new Dr’s at UC Davis and I’m feeling better most days.

Hope peace and happiness invades your life also. đŸ«¡