Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MG Rise in COVID Cases

• David S

January 20, 2022 at 4:09 am

It continues to cause stress and anxiety.   More infections means we have to be more careful.  That restricts our already restricted life.  Not good…..

Scott

• Norm

January 20, 2022 at 6:08 pm

I agree with David. Our quality of life has been lessened, and the change seems to be permanent. It looks like COVID-19, with its present and future variants, is here to stay.

“The secret to happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible.” — Bertrand Russell

I’m not depressed so much by the fact of COVID-19 as by the large number of people who refuse to get vaccinated.

• Liane Martin

January 20, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Yes, the rise in Covid cases, and the continuing arrogance of antivaxxers and people refusing to mask up, causes way more stress and anxiety than is needed.

• Craig

January 22, 2022 at 3:49 pm

I have decided that I’m not going to let most of it affect me.  I can’t control what other people do so, like I did during flu season before Covid, I manage my own risk.  The numbers and messaging from governments are a mess (“in the hospital because of covid, or admitted to the hospital from a car crash and tested positive for covid?”, “wear any mask.  Cloth masks are just facial decorations.  Only N95 masks do anything.”), I don’t understand the math well enough to judge for myself whether the headlines match the actual study results (“vaccines essentially stopped being effective with the Delta variant”, “vaccinated people shed less/the same/more virus compared to unvaccinated people”, “natural immunity is 6x better/6x less effective than the vaccines over some meaningless short period of time”)   I know double-vaxxed-and-boosted people who work from home, don’t go out to eat or party, and have no kids who had covid and unvaccinated people with young kids in school and sports who have not.

I decided to control what I can control.  I stock some extra supplies in the house so I don’t have to run to the store as often as I did 3 years ago, if the store is more crowded than I like that day I don’t have to go in.  I attend meetings online whenever I can.  But Covid is not going away, and – just like the flu – there’s always going to be another variant, so I am cautiously expanding my circle of activities.

I live in a US state with a lot of mandates including “vaccine passports” in some cities but I have pretty much decided that I’m going to start treating it like a bad flu season. At this point I have the rest of my life to get on living, and I don’t have time to be in a constant state of panic about things I can’t control.   If I wasn’t panicked about dying from the flu 3 years ago, why should I be panicked about Covid at this point?  I pay attention to the information put out by my local Board of Health and manage my own behavior – getting my own vaccinations, deciding when to wear a mask and how many people I’m comfortable being around in a particular situation, watching my diet and trying to get my weight down.

• RINA NEL

January 24, 2022 at 9:40 am

I get so upset when people try to force us into the same box. I have decided not to take the vax. It is my decision and I would appreciate it if people don’t get depressed about it. I see so many vaxed people now suffering from deseases that they never had before.

We go to town whenever and nit one of us contracted Covid but I know people, vaxed, who now had Covid twice. I rest my case!

• Norm

January 24, 2022 at 2:35 pm

The evidence is overwhelming that unvaccinated  people are many times more likely to contract COVID-19 and even more likely to require hospitalization and to die.

• Liane Martin

January 25, 2022 at 5:52 pm

This is why we cannot get rid of Covid, the uninformed think they know better. If you are immunocompromised the vaccinologists, the epidemiologists, the scientists have facts, and figures to show that the vaccines lessen the chances of death from Covid. No one ever said vaccines are the end all or be all. Why have we as a society decided education means nothing? 🙄🙄🙄

• Norm

January 25, 2022 at 6:14 pm

I think there is some kind of magical thinking going on. “We are vulnerable and helpless against COVID-19. We will say that the reality is different, and that will change it.”

• Amy Cessina

January 24, 2022 at 3:04 pm

Your response doesn’t resound with me. Covid kills many more people than the flu. Do what you can to protect yourself but don’t get fooled into thinking this is the flu. Flu cannot eat your lungs to the point you need a double lung  transplant or cause long term neurological damage. I’d rather work off this is a very serious illness I don’t want to get it. The next variant maybe won’t be so tame.

• Liane Martin

January 25, 2022 at 6:16 pm

I agree…thank you for that

• DocTim

January 24, 2022 at 5:10 pm

I pretty much echo CRAIG’S response. Very confusing situation.  I have very active MG & am on immune-suppression, but at 70yrs I am too old to hide away, lock down & let this bug get me depressed or fearful.  I have 1x Moderna – got a MG flare from it & didn’t want the 2nd.  My wife is unvaxxed & got covid last year – suffered like many at home for about 3 weeks until it passed.  Somehow it missed me or was so mixed in with my MG problems I just fought thru’ it.  Never had a positive Covid test.

All through this time I have been in public when necessary, traveled, visited family, gone to church, etc., masked when required, avoided it when possible.  I have a personal vitamin/supplement regimen I have taken through all this that I believe is helping to protect me.   I get up, go to work, exercise & try to eat right, take my pills and trust God for the rest.  I’m glad for the vaccines, I take all kinds of them for flu, etc., and I would like to have a vaccine for this bug I feel confident about – maybe after the whole truth about the virus, infections, vaccines, etc, comes out I’ll look at it again.  I too am convinced there are a lot of lies out there about origins, mask efficacy, death numbers, and so on.

This is just my story and my opinion, for what it’s worth.  I do not disparage anyone with a different take on any of this.  God bless you one and all.

• TheresaG

January 26, 2022 at 3:03 am

We have definitely come to the time where everyone will do as they prefer and suffer, ( or not) the consequences of their actions and decisions.

at this stage, I doubt anyone can convince another of anything on the subject.

that said, I recently read on one of the autoimmune websites that autoimmune people have a more robust immune system so perhaps will be less likely to contract any virus. However, once we do contract it, we may have a more difficult time dealing with it as it will grab on harder with our suppressed immune systems due to medications.

this was true with my daughter with Lupus for 27 years. She was less likely to get a cold or flu but when it did get her she would go down hard , pneumonia, bronchitis etc.

I have no agenda other than to share this information.

i agree that with both the vaccine and catching Covid, in 10 years we will see a huge explosion of many autoimmune diseases.

My husbands cardiologist has said 99% of the people in the hospital today and the ones dying from Covid are the unvaccinated, for what it is worth.

• Norm

January 26, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Why do you think we will have an explosion of autoimmune diseases?

• DocTim

January 26, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Interestingly, an autoimmune researcher suggested one reason…  “With rising awareness, humans have created more sterile environments around themselves, especially in developed countries. The immune system of growing children in such countries do not get exposed to enough bacteria (both, good and bad) and is thus more likely to act up.”

This may have some merit, as well as increased stress. The American Psychological Association reports that 44% of Americans have reported increased stress over the past 10 years, which we know is a big mover for MG and other maladies.

So, send the kids outside to play & chill out.  ‘wish it were so simple.

• TheresaG

February 13, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Tim….so true. We are on the tip of the iceberg in seeing how this Covid will long term impact society.

• TheresaG

February 11, 2022 at 10:53 pm

We already are hearing of our  MG community experiencing exacerbated symptoms and or new diagnosis after having the vaccine or the Covid.

Our antibodies are being activated and IF you have an autoimmune predisposition, it makes sense some will overreact which  what happens in autoimmune disease and attacks  the body and unleash an autoimmune disease.

Just my untrained opinion.

• DocTim

February 13, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Makes very good sense, Theresa.  MG and other autoimmune conditions don’t react in normal ways to infections or inoculations.  So hard to figure out what to expect and find the best way forward many times.  I’ve often wondered if my Shingles Vaccine a couple years ago activated a dormant MG in me.  It was about a year after that that MG hit me hard. May never know, but always investigating links.

• TheresaG

February 13, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Tim, if a doctor has not told you that, I’d pretty much bet on it.

I believe mine was unleashed due to a MRSA infection a couple years prior, wad put on vancomycin pump…OR… my body fighting my cancer in the early days plus all the antibiotics and anesthesia used in surgery.

trauma as in surgery, or other trauma can cause that autoimmune disease to the forefront.

I gave a family history of autoimmune diseases. Wonder how many others of you out there do. If you don’t actively know, might want to ask immediate family.
        also don’t ge surprised if you suddenly develop another. Quite common to experience more than one. Not just MG but autoimmune in general.

My daughter has had Lupus for 27 years, along with others that developed over time.

• Norm

February 14, 2022 at 4:46 pm

I’m puzzled by the fact that MG disease severity is not proportional to the concentration of antibodies.  It seems like the antibodies are floating around in our bodies; then some trauma or other event tells them to attack the muscle cell receptors.  Could it be that the disease is actually in the muscles — some chemical change that “attracts” the antibodies?

• TheresaG

February 14, 2022 at 5:58 pm

Norm, not sure which conversation you are referring to on antibodies. But the MG antibodies are indicative of a neurological disease where the antibody affects the nerve communication to the muscle. Layman’s description.

I am seronegative, I do not present with the ACHR, MUSK or the 3rd one. Either they have not discovered the others that cause it, or the tests are not sensitive enough to detect it. OR, it is a muscle myopathy.

They can present very similar, but if you are antibody positive, then you are for sure  MG and it is affecting the nerve muscle communication.

If you did not watch, there  is tons of info on the MGFA conference held last week that may answer your question more deeply.