• Infection From IVIG

Posted by jodi-enders on November 4, 2022 at 1:54 pm

I recently discovered that some individuals are hesitant to IVIG treatment because of the infection risk. I am curious how often this happens to help others with this decision. 

Have you ever gotten an infection after IVIG?

How serious was it? What type of infection was it? What did treatment involve? Did you have to spend time in the hospital? How long until the infection was gone?

jeaninne replied 1 year, 4 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • david-s

November 4, 2022 at 7:27 pm

I have been getting IVIGs monthly for the last 2+ years.  No infections.

• edward-claghorn

November 6, 2022 at 1:03 pm

IVIG monthly for three years. Now getting vivgart, 4 weeks on and four weeks off. No infections. Staff at hospital are super careful and trained.

• thomas

November 4, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I had IVIG for 3 years with no infection.  Interesting my insurance said IVIG cannot be used as a maintenance treatment for MG.  I was switched to Solirius which is better, but I still carry a lot of symptoms

• lou-venema

November 4, 2022 at 8:18 pm

I have ebbn doing IVIG for about 8 years and so far no infections. That may be about to change.

I was recently in the hospital for chest pain that was identified as pericarditis. I am working with a doctor to find out why my blood counts are going up and down. I get a chill when he is talking as I hear things like IVIG can cause infection, steroids, prednisone, Lupus, RA and more.

But no infections yet.

• david-davidson

November 5, 2022 at 1:44 am

I have had Ivig off and on for 10 years no infection.???? What kind of infection did they have??

• donald-andelsman

November 7, 2022 at 2:17 pm

After my 1st round of IVIG for GMG I developed a severe rash all over my body.  It took nearly 3 months to go away.  I was seen by my neurologist, dermatologist, and internist.

I was switched by neurologist to Vyvgart infusions…finished 1st round, no better or worse…am now starting 2nd round of Vyvagart.  This infusion stuff seems endless, but MG is a tough illness.

• jeaninne

November 29, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Are you MG positive? I recently had reaction, but being seronegative not eligible for vyagart.

So IVIG stopped with nothing to replace it. Now I am having problems with shortness of breath ,weakness and talking.

I was getting IVIG treatments for 5 years