• exercising with MG

Posted by Michael Morris on August 22, 2023 at 6:13 pm

Im 85 and I have MG

Ive had it for two years and I know the disease impacts each of us differently. One of the loses I felt most was a variety of muscle weaknesses that came and went. Ihad rehab after an MG crisis and I was pleased when I could climb 2 or 3 stairs.

Once home I read several articles that talked about exercise. They all came to the same conclusion–listen to your body and take it slow.There will be days you feel like taking a walk outside, and others when you know its just not the right time

During the past two years as my meds changed and I started to feel better my goal became trying to work my way back to the exercises I did before I was diagnosed. For example I started lifting hand weights at 3 pounds and then 5,7 and finally 10 which was my old routine. For my other exercises I kept pushing to raise my reps

My message is yes try to exercise, but do listen to your body and your neurologist. Set goals and work to meet them. Two of anything is better than one. Not only will you feel better physically, but mentally as well

After all, you’ll be showing MG who’s boss.

Becky replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ChrisM

August 23, 2023 at 1:08 pm

Totally agree! Exercise can be so beneficial physically and mentally. But there are days where it just doesn’t happen as body says no…and it’s ok! The key thing I’ve found is to not be disappointed or discouraged on a bad day. God knows what each day holds and gives the strength needed.

• Charles Karcher

August 23, 2023 at 2:08 pm

Fortunately I am able to exercise on a regular basis. I walk on a treadmill daily with a goal of 3 miles daily which I am usually capable of meeting. I exercise with hand weights intermittently using 5lb weights. While the primary goal is weight control the muscular development is also useful.

• John

August 23, 2023 at 5:06 pm

85 and you are doing all of that plus with living with MG! Credit to you. I just started up with a personal trainer, and doing weights, breathing techniques, yoga, mat exercises and learning about a proper diet. Early days, so let’s see how it goes.

• Amy Cessina

August 24, 2023 at 6:09 pm

I exercise every day mostly. I heard it helps control weakness. But I also heard that is if MG is well controlled exercise is fine. Exercise assured me that I am good. So mentally it is a positive for me.

• Cheryl

August 25, 2023 at 8:59 am

When people say exercise, to me it means above activities of daily living. For me it was exhausting activity to get showered, dressed or fix a simple meal for years and walking 75 ft took me to tears. I tried PT but was chided for only managing 3-5 reps which then wiped me out for days being in same clothes, unable to brush hair or teeth..at 58! Being sero negative, was told to go to assisted living and sign DNR, get will updated.

My Swedish genes and nursing knowlege screamed. Demanded mestinon trial. I decided to focus on walking and getting up and down from chairs,lifting weights of groceries, dog food increasing the weights and frequency. Had to bring dog food into house from car by bucket, groceries just perishables came in first day. Now 2 yrs later can walk 750 ft daily without tears, bring in half bag of dog food in garden tote, take a shower washing hair shoulder length hair and comb it out, fix a meal. Still have to rest often but I am now LIVING.

Thing is everyday living is exercise and in my opinion should be our focus. At no point did any professional seek to understand that making living safely at home was the goal, not doing a checklist of reps that left rug dusty, trash in house, dogs unwalked, hair cut very short so styling doesn’t matter.

Just my thoughts

Cheryl

• Sharon Haw

August 25, 2023 at 3:37 pm

I am lucky to have both a knowledgeable trainer and PT who understand go at my pace. The goal is to keep my balance and muscles functioning so I can live a mostly normal life. Lifting my feet when fatigued is a challenge & frequently a trip hazard so I use walking poles for shorter walks outdoors & the treadmill for longer walks most days to prevent falls.

• John

August 25, 2023 at 11:23 pm

<div>So my first week with a PT went well. Upper body strength is fine, but for some months now I have a lot of weakness in my legs and I can’t seem to resolve this issue and at times balance is unstable and stagger around like a drunk,(wouldn’t mind if I had a few😀) Typing this from my chair and literary have to push myself off and out of the chair to get up. Anyone else?</div><div>

The good news is that I have lost 7lbs in one week which I am pleased with, but may not be so tomorrow when I weigh myself, as went out and had lunch to celebrate, albeit just some fried chicken with sweet potato fries, but just had to have two screwdrivers didn’t I, when I went there thinking I should only drink water🥂Oh boy, tasted so good after not having(well, hardly) any booze at all for about 7 months! Oh well, life is short. Cheers.

</div>

• Becky

October 20, 2023 at 2:17 pm

I have found water aerobics with pool water temp @ 82 degrees works great for me. I can only walk short distances but the pool water helps keep my body cooler so I can do 60 minutes of moderate to high intensity 5 days a week.