Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Navigating School and Work Using MG as an Advantage in the Workplace

• Using MG as an Advantage in the Workplace

Posted by BioNews Staff on June 2, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Teaching is a very stressful job-I quickly figured this out within the first few weeks of my first year. To help myself handle the stress, I used strategies I had learned as someone with MG.

Some of those strategies included breathing exercises to manage anxiety, building time in my schedule to relax, and not letting the little things get to me. I used all of these tactics while in the worst of my MG, so why couldn’t they help with my stress at work?

Do you use any tricks or strategies gained throughout your MG journey to help you at work? Which ones work? Which ones don’t?

Ronald E. Clever replied 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jonathan A

July 24, 2021 at 8:45 am

When I first started showing MG symptoms  … I went straight to the doctors  .. for answers as the symptoms kept increasing  … with hand finger grabbing weakness, sore weak calf leg muscles, and every street light at night  …. being a “CHRISTMAS STAR” off a Christmas card sending twenty foot rays to light down in front of the road.   So I tried not to drive at night and stuck more to residential streets with less lights.  But that affected my work schedule.

But because no doctor (including three hospital Neurologists) could Diagnose MG  … it took 8 months for an observant floor nurse to recognize my  OCULAR MYASTHENIA GRAVIS symptoms right away from other patients she visited.  So I am remission  ….  but I WORRY.

Will my symptoms come back, will my head dump down from a weak neck again, will my legs melt into the floor, can I ever fly out of town, or drive far away again?   Where is the nearest hospital/urgent care?  If I have to go there  …. who will check my stuff out of the hotel or return my rental car?  Would someone take the stuff in the hotel to my hospital to me?  So I am basically GROUNDED. I see in MG web pages that other MG advocates and local support leaders travel  … but they must travel in groups or with a companion  …. I asume.   Knowing what undiagnosed MG has been like for 8 months  …. it seems too RISKY to go out of one’s comfort zone.  When you are taking 2000 mg of immune symptom suppressants … it would not take much to pick up a SEPTIC something again and floor me for another November in two more hospitals.  Is there a secret way   …. or do you just stay close to home  … as much as possible and allow for rest  ….. as there is always tomorrow to finish your stuff?

• Sheila Troiano

December 4, 2021 at 2:32 pm

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hi, Sheila here. I had been diagnosed 3 yrs ago. My MG has it’s ups and downs. I still work full time as a psych RN and charge nurse. My coworkers are very aware. Some days are stressful, but I practice what I preach. Mindfulness and DBT skills help me as well as my patients. Some days I’m only taking a timespan and 3/ 60 mg mestinon. Other days up to 5-6 of the regular mestinon. When working, it is easy to get distracted from your own need for meds. In ” not paying attention” I’ve choked, aspirated, nearly fallen and not being able to speak with projection. I have learned to take more self care, otherwise I can’t be there for them. I’m hoping to be able to work longer, as I am 58 yrs old and I’ve worked very hard to get to the position I am in right now. Key thing is self awareness and positive vibes only, is my motto. I hope this helps some of my MG friends.</p>

• Amy Cessina

December 8, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Thank you all for sharing. Sheila we are about the same I’m 56 trying to squeak out more years working myself. I agree with positive vibes although sometimes it’s not easy. Besides practicing a lot of suggestions above  I personally made a visit to “our lady of victory” chapel in upstate New York.  It is a place many go to ask for healing. Personally I am not super religious but I did visit and purchased an our lady of victory religious medal right at the beginning of my diagnosis. I have it on my person at all times. When I’m stressed I hold the metal and ask for help. It’s just a way for me to calm myself. You don’t have to use a religious medal but anything that has meaning for you. It helps recenter yourself.

• Ronald E. Clever

December 9, 2021 at 3:02 am

I am an Accountant so as I like to put it I polish a chair with my ass. I have been trying to put off retiring since my current job is one I really like but now at 61 it looks as though I will have to give in. I fell two weeks ago at work in the bathroom. Luckily other people heard me hit the floor and they called an ambulance since I was bleeding above my eye.  I ended up with two black eyes and very sore ribs since all of these 400 lbs hitting the floor could not be stopped. I have fallen again at home since then and reinjured my ribs. I have to admit my legs are too weak to continue working. I was hoping to make it to next Oct but don’t think that is feasible anymore. My co-workers are so understanding and give me help and my boss is FINALLY coming around. I hate to leave mainly because of the money but I am so damn tired .