Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Types of Myasthenia Gravis

• Types of Myasthenia Gravis

Posted by jodi-enders on December 19, 2022 at 5:00 am

Multiple types of Myasthenia gravis exist that one could be diagnosed with, depending on the age when symptoms began, its cause, muscle groups, thymoma, and antibodies. An individual can have more than one type, and initial diagnosis types can progress into other forms. 

This article (https://myastheniagravisnews.com/types/) on our website discusses the two main types:

• Generalized (weakness seen in multiple muscles)
    • Ocular (eye muscles)

And the following subtypes:

• Congenital (caused by defective genes from both parents)
    • Juvenile (begins before age 18)
    • Transient neonatal (babies whose mother transferred MG during development)

Other subtypes I have seen members in our community mention they are diagnosed with include:

• seronegative
    • early-onset (symptoms before 50)
    • late-onset (symptoms after 50)
    • autoimmune (immune system destroying communication between muscles and nerves)
    • Acetylcholine receptor (AChR) (antibody type)
    • Muscle-specific kinase (MUSK) (antibody type)
    • Lipoprotein-related protein 4 (LRP4) (antibody type)

What type(s) of MG do you have? Have you been diagnosed with multiple types? Has this changed over time? 

If you have a rarer form, please educate us about it!

renna replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • david-s

December 20, 2022 at 2:44 am

Nice lay out –

gMG,  <i>AChR </i>positive, always double vision – varies from time to time, day to day.  DV is my first indicator that I might be slipping into an exacerbation.  Time to rest.  My DV gets worse.  No Crisis yet.

Diagnosed in 2019,  I would consider my MG symptoms as stable.  Can’t get enough exercise so I am getting weaker.  Put on about 30lbs.

On occasion, I feel like I just missed a half-beat, then, that’s where I remain.  For me, I feel as if I am living in a slow motion movie going real time speed.

My Neuro says that I’ve got sometining else too, but the treatment would be the same.  It does not appear to be worth the testing to put another name on it.

Scott

• renna

December 20, 2022 at 4:31 am

Jodi,
    Thanks for the detail and describing different types of MG. Based on your layout, I have early onset (diagnosed at 47 but started experiencing symptoms at 45), seronegative, gMG (affects multiple muscles and causing weakness in the legs), and to some extent droopy eyelids. Used to be athletic and played high impact sports (tennis), but had to put that on hold almost 2 years ago as I couldn’t move and was at risk to fall and get hurt. Leg muscles and hip flexors are especially affected and atrophied. Doing pilates now to maintain core strength.

• theresa-l

December 29, 2022 at 3:08 am

I was diagnosed with seronegative a year ago although we now know I had symptoms for several years before it got bad enough I finally went to the doctor who recognized right away that something was wrong and I needed to see a neurologist.  My voice is the first thing to get weak and then it goes down hill from there.  The weakness and not being able to do all the  things I have done for my entire life is the hardest to handle.  If I only knew how to figure out when I am going to hit that wall and not be able to go on I think it would make it much easier to deal with.  Who knows though maybe I am just a slow learner or ever the optimist that today is going to be the day I am normal again.

• renna

December 29, 2022 at 4:17 am

I feel your pain Theresa.  I’m often saddened when my body won’t let me do the basic stuff I used to do and I’m an optimist that I will conquer this MG and be normal again; play tennis, be athletic, walk normally, get up from a chair without help, climb up the stairs and even downstairs without assistance.  My voice also fades and I have difficulty swallowing.  It’s very frustrating with good days and bad days.  Hope for more good days.