Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips The Holiday Season, Alcohol, and How to Say No

• The Holiday Season, Alcohol, and How to Say No

Posted by bns-staff on December 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm

While alcoholic drinks aren’t limited to a specific time of year, it seems like the holiday season is a time when cocktails are flowing. I tend to stay away from alcohol, but sometimes it’s hard to say no when I’m being pressured by those around me who don’t know about my MG.

How do you reply when someone keeps asking why you don’t want a drink? How do you react to this type of situation?

kenneth-berg replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • kenneth-berg

December 3, 2021 at 8:18 pm

“I wish I could, but I have an immune system issue and it has a detrimental effect on me”.  “No thank you” also works.  Plenty of people today don’t drink or no longer drink.

• bill-wheeler

December 6, 2021 at 3:14 pm

I just simply say “no thanks, my strict wife says no alcohol allowed” and people laugh but stop offering. I dont want to share my MG or meds with anyone...too personal. I may ask for a soft drink if I think it is an option. Many people do not drink alcohol these days; I do have a glass of wine often at home but are very careful about its affects.

• amy-cessina

December 8, 2021 at 10:29 pm

I don’t tell anyone about my MG. I even work at a rare disease foundation  and never told anyone there.
    I take a few sips of a drink and switch to sparking water with a twist of lemon. Looks like a drink. I’m older so many of us don’t drink. If you are young it must be harder .