Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Nature Restores the Energy That Myasthenia Gravis Depletes

• Nature Restores the Energy That Myasthenia Gravis Depletes

Posted by Jodi Enders on December 9, 2021 at 5:35 am

My most recent column describes how nature restores the energy that myasthenia gravis depletes. Noticing how much energy MG grants me each day, and being intentional about how I use it, can prevent me from feeling burned out. I have underestimated the benefit of escaping into nature. It doesn’t deplete my energy but restores it, leaving me feeling renewed. And it’s good for my personal improvement and intellectual enrichment.

How do you balance your energy to set some spoons aside to get outside for a walk, stick your nose in a book, or relish your favorite pleasure hobby?

Amy Cessina replied 2 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Amy Cessina

December 10, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Rain, snow or sun I’m outside to walk briskly. Only unless I’m told not to exercise by a doctor will I skip. I have done this now for years. I am a bit boring and make the same walk everyday. I walk up a very steep hill to visit my neighbors horses give them some carrots or horse treats and back down to my house. It’s about 1.2 miles. I tell myself if I can do that walk because it’s up quite an incline then I am fine. It helps me cope. I keep track of it on my Apple Watch so that gives me additional information too. Being outside in nature helps me a lot. Where I live has herds of deer , flocks of wild turkeys etc so I have a lot to enjoy. The horses are beautiful also they look for me everyday and come galloping over.

• Maureen Gosz

December 11, 2021 at 1:36 am

Same here! I love being outside. We live on a hobby farm, which sadly I don’t have my horses & goats anymore, but I do have a large number of flower beds,that I will not give up.They are all mulched so I don’t have to worry about too much weeding. I pick one a day,to work in. Checking to see if deer or bunnies chewed anything, for insects, and normal upkeep. I have my phone on me always for taking pics of butterflies, birds,amphibians. When I am out in nature, there is nothing else in my mind,not even my disease. But,once I get up from being down on the ground, whew! So,I just go & rest for about an hour or so. I do pay for it in the evening & the next day, but, I still enjoy it. In the winter, I can look back at all the pics I took, and think about how much enjoyment it gives me. I also look at catalogs,& on my phone for new flowers & plants for the next year! My husband makes yard art for me, as long as I can keep coming up with ideas! I also love having the wild birds around. Living in the woods, there is always plenty of wildlife to enjoy.There is nothing like nature to heal the soul.