Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Mood and Mental Health Medications With MG

• Mood and Mental Health Medications With MG

Posted by jodi-enders on October 5, 2022 at 4:52 pm

I deal with severe anxiety and depression. I am sure plenty of you also have battles with psychological and mental illness symptoms or diagnoses. 

Right before MG, I stopped taking medication for my mental conditions because they started causing insomnia. But MG has intensified a lot of my triggers and reactions. 

I have been resistant to attempting medications because everyone with MG reacts differently to drugs. The fear that medication could trigger an MG crisis is frightening. But medication, as you may have experienced, can be a game changer for overall mood, productivity, and preventing destructive thinking. 

Have you been on a mental disorder treatment while dealing with MG? Did you experience any adverse reactions or worsened MG symptoms? Did you have luck with your body responding well to a specific medication? We would love to hear from you!

jonathan-a replied 1 year ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • robert-b

October 5, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Hi Jodi,

I’ve had generalized MG for over 8 years and have taken an anti-depressant the entire time, with no problem. After having some anxiety issues of late, I’ve begun taking a prescription for that, too. It also helps me to get a good night sleep, which has always been a big deal since I’ve had MG.

My PCP suggested I get with a psychiatrist for the anxiety medication, which has so far been a new, but good experience. I hope you get the relief you need!

Robert

• george-tvardy

October 5, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Jodi, I come from two different perspectives with regards to this issue.  First off, Iwas diagnosed with Generalized MG in May, 2020, and have taken Zoloft for years for anxiety issues.  I too struggle with anxiety in addition to MG.

Second, I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist here in Tennessee.  I work in our local community mental health agency and see youth and their families on a daily basis.  Some manage their mental health symptoms with the aid of medication, some manage without meds.  I’ve seen both approaches work.

In my personal life, medication has helped me to decrease my anxiety and manage my everyday stress better.  Oh, I still have my share of stress, don’t get me wrong, but Zoloft has helped to take the edge off of those feelings and make them more manageable.  Then, I’m better able to use behavioral intervention to help me to lower my anxiety further.

As a professional, both approaches (meds vs. no meds) have worked for people that I have worked with in my 30 years in the field.  I could never tell anyone whether to take or not take meds, as I don’t have to live with the repercussions.  One thing that I do worry about with my clients, however, is that they sometimes feel shame over having to take medication for anxiety and/or depression, and they shouldn’t feel this way.  Some people feel like they fail if they have to take medication for sadness or anxiety.

Many times, however, there is a biological component to sadness or worry do to chemical imbalances in the brain.  There’s a physical aspect to it, and sometimes meds can help.  I’m not one who rushes individuals to take meds, but I do try to educate about the undeserved stigma of taking meds for mental health issues.  It’s OK if you choose to go that route, and you shouldn’t feel bad about taking an antidepressant like you wouldn’t feel bad about taking an antibiotic for an infection or insulin for diabetes.  Lowering your stress level by addressing anxiety and/or depression can actually decrease MG symptoms according to my neurologist that I see for my MG.

Good luck with this issue.  You come across as very bright and insightful, and I’m sure that you will make a decision that is best for you.  My hope and prayer is that you find peace and clarity about this issue and that you make the decision that is best for you personally.  Take care!

• Ari Maayan

October 6, 2022 at 1:04 am

Hi Jodi,

I was diagnosed with both ocular and Generalized MG about 6 or 7 years ago. Can’t remember. I am a fully and permanently disabled U S Marine. Most of my disability is Severe PTSD, Major Depressive Disorders and multiple generalized anxiety disorders. I have been in therapy since 1967. I have been repeatedly locked up for suicidal ideation and have attempted suicide twice.  But I am still here and fighting the good fight.  My mental illnesses are not like something that I can put into a garbage bag and put out by the curb and have the garbage man take it away. These things are always with me. But I take my meds and go to my therapy and do the best I can. I see my MG as a blessing. It’s another challenge on my pathway. Another way of proving to myself that I can take anything that life throws at me and keep on keeping on. Down (sometimes) but never OUT!!!

• cindy505

October 6, 2022 at 2:58 am

I hear you Ari. I was diagnosed 6 years ago with gMG. Twenty years ago I was diagnosed with a mood disorder. I have been hospitalized twice for suicidal ideations. I am balancing both. I never stop my meds. I never quit. It’s always a straight up vertical climb. But, like you, I never quit. I never give up.

• michele-ayers

November 16, 2022 at 12:16 am

Hi

So, I was diagnosed about a year ago although I think I had ocular myesthenia prior to my diagnosis. I recently read about people experiencing breathlessness and sweating. Oh, my gosh! So THAT”S where that comes from!. Oh, sorry This is the mood and medication site..

yes, antidepressants and mg meds. I know I HAVE/NEED to take the antidepressants for the rest of my life. There is a noticeable different for me if I don’t. I take bupropion and escitalopram.

The mestinon made me crazy with side effects so I was able to go off of it. The downside is my left eye goes to sleep/completely shut before the rest of my body wants to. It’s 4pm and my eye is almost closed…but it’s worth not having the side effects of the mestionon.

Is it the prednisone that is causing unpredictable sweating and breathlessness? OR the disease itself?

I get reminded constantly by well meaning friends that I am 1. breathing hard, 2. must be out of shape. or asking me, “Are you ok?” It’s great that they care but it’s uncomfortable as well, right?

The sweating is very embarrassing as it is random and not my whole body..but as though a faucet was turned on at the top of my head and running down my face. Seriously! it’s not normal sweating..

I was singing and left the stage in the middle of the song while the keyboard player kept playing. I ran to the restroom and stuck my head under the water then came back and finished the song. IT only was a moment’s relief because it started all over again.

I am grateful to still be able to sing. I’m afraid of what’s to come. I have now generalized mg, my jaw is tight and my TMJ is more severe. I sometimes get stabbing pains when I chew. I don’t have the problem yet with swallowing but chewing is definitely tiring. I just can’t open my mouth as wide and it’s small to begin with.

Yesterday I had NO energy…the day before I got a lot done because it was a good day. I am learning to take advantage of those days.

OH, someone wrote about oxygen and breathing. I do use a cpap for apnea and I really like it. I’m sure it’s very helpful now that I have the mg diagnosis as well. Someone wrote that the cpap didn’t work because theirs didn’t let you exhale on your own. Mine does.

Ok..so yes, I’m complaining today….I got a new prescription for glasses just 2 months ago…not working for my left eye now. I seem to go along and then I am made more and more aware of mg in my daily life.

I’ve only told my siblings and a few close friends…not my mom or my kids..(mom’s 95 and I take care of her…I would become her next “project” if she knew)

oh, starting to get more headaches…I never really had many….anyone else?

Thank you everyone…

I check in only occasionally with my counselor now.I think I may try someone new.

and I’m looking to find a new doctor….one who has more patients with mg.s

I did ask her about going off prednisone for a non steroid treatment but she said that the list of 7 I showed her had many more side effects.

thank you…let me know if I’ve violated forum rules..as my topics were varied…perhaps they should have been on my profile page?

THank you so much for this site. Sincerely, michele

oh, I realize, especially since taking care of mom…even if I don’t have a lot of energy..I need to get “off campus” daily…even if it’s just a car ride to a scenic point.

• jonathan-a

March 25, 2023 at 1:20 am

I have had MG symptoms since 7-25-2019  … but it took 8 months  .. before I was finally diagnosed with MG by a very intelligent third floor nurse, who recognized my MG symptoms from other MG patients that she met in her career.  Every doctor who saw me couldn’t diagnose me … including an eye doctor,  two Neurologists, and a Neuro-Surgeon  … who could not even recognize MG in their own SPECIALTY.     So when that WONDERFUL NURSE finally diagnosed me with MYASTHENIA GRAVIS  … on 3-24-2020, I was TOTALLY THRILLED  …    I now had a NAME for my disease,  all my 10 to 12 symptoms, I saw on her handout from http://www.uptodate.com  of MYASTHENIA GRAVIS: THE BASICS  …   and matched her website printout exactly.

I was VINDICATED.   The nurse talked her doctor friend into giving me tests and a NEURO-CONSULT  … and she was DEAD-ON CORRECT. I was extremely SERO-POSITIVE.  I have been in REMISSION …  since I left the FIFTH hospital on BLACK FRIDAY 11-27-2020  … and I have been  GOOGLING LIKE CRAZY ever since to educate my  new MG doctors, and be my QUARTERBACK.

I have been lucky mentally, except when I was undiagnosed with MG  in the first two hospitals, in wrist restraints, in vibrating white ski boot foot restraints, with 100% hearing and voice loss due to MEDS OTOTOXICITY, and to make matters worse  … the two RARE DISEASE RESEARCH FOUNDATIONS finally recovered over 1600 of my medical documents, tests, and consults  … describing all the tests, missed diagnosis opportunities, my CODE RED, my three PNEUMONIAS contracted in the first ICU,  and the fact they kept me on MORPHINE and FENTANYL for no reason at all for all 27 days at the first hospital of five.

It has been a great relief, to know my disease and my status  … so I am close to BEING ME AGAIN, for the first time since July 2019.   I hope that I will not need MOOD meds in the future, because I do not know which of my MEDS … 5500 MGs daily  …  is keeping me MG stable and which are giving me side effects.

I have been through HELL,  had a CODE RED  &  died on February 5, 2020 at 8:37 pm  of  ACUTE  HYPERCAPNIC  RESPIRATORY  FAILURE,  86        X-rays,  and successfully got tapered off  PREDNISONE,  so that my Medically Induced Diabetes from said PREDNISONE is in REMISSION also.     So the worse is behind me now  … and I intend to never be near a MG clueless hospital again.  If my dad lived to 89 with one kidney since seven, and his father lived to 98 years old,  I can at least do the same  … if I remain educated about MYASTHENIA GRAVIS  as best as I can, and continue ZOOMING with my MG Support Groups.

So,  in comparison to where I have been,  I feel nothing can affect me mentally now,  as I have been through HELL,  and have better educated myself to medically be a SURVIVOR  … and stay POSITIVE.