• Posted by abby on September 28, 2023 at 6:18 pm

I have been an athlete and a swimmer my whole life. When I was diagnosed with MG two years ago this September, I was entering my Sophomore season on my college swim team. To say it has been a huge adjustment for me and my coach is an understatement. He has been so understanding with everything I’ve been going through and is creative with my training when I have flare ups. This year has been particularly hard for me but I’m determined to finish my athletic career strong. I’m just wondering if there are people out there who are also athletes that were diagnosed with MG and have a similar experience to me.

Jodi Enders replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ChrisM

September 29, 2023 at 12:06 pm

Hi Abby, I was a late onset (for a female) diagnosis, so many years after my competitive days. But I’m sure it’s been a challenge for you to have to adjust mentally and physically to the change, and perhaps the realisation that some times you hoped to achieve may never come. I admire you wanting to finish strong and wish you well. While we may not physically achieve what we hoped, don’t underestimate the inspiration you can be on a team by being there, working hard, having a positive mental attitude and a perspective on life that matures you years beyond teammates. Keep fighting….but also don’t worry about days where you physically just can’t. It’s ok to rest. To ease back or do less reps. Listen to your body, keep feeding your mind and soul, and remember that a “different” life can still be very rich. God bless.

• Jodi Enders

December 10, 2023 at 11:10 am

Hey Abby! I was not a college athlete, but I was diagnosed in my last semester of college while finishing my honors thesis 3 years ago now. I was extremely passionate about my career in archaeology. I was president of the club, volunteered for many professors to gain professional relationships, and did everything I could to help advance myself into a good graduate school position and, ultimately, a lifelong career. I think I can relate a bit to your loss, and I send my uttermost compassion your way. I wrote this article on my career loss a while back. If you are interested in the read, here is the link: https://myastheniagravisnews.com/columns/coping-with-loss-beloved-anthropology-career-path/

• Jodi, Team Member