Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Diet, Exercise, and Supplements Melatonin: Can It Exacerbate Mg Symptoms?

• DocTim

July 8, 2021 at 10:09 pm

I used melatonin for sleep for years successfully. After diagnosed with MG, I researched every Rx & OTC I was using and found that information you referenced & quit melatonin immediately.  I am not sure if was having any affects on my MG.  My Primary Care Dr has given me a low dose Trazadone which works as well and does not exacerbate my MG. My neurologist was not aware of melatonin’s effect, but agreed it was best to cease using it.

Thank you for the post & heads up.  It is wise for anyone with MG to diligently research everything that goes into their body from medication to food.

• jodi-enders

July 17, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Thanks, Tim. My one year of being diagnosed is just coming up, so I am still learning more every day myself!

• DocTim

July 19, 2021 at 6:49 pm

Jodi,
    I’m not sure what the appropriate greeting is for an anniversary of a diagnosis of MG, but congratulations for your fight against it, and for your positive spirit. I have a one year anniversary myself coming up this September.
    I have certainly learned a lot about this neuro-muscular challenge, but in many ways I think I am still in kindergarten.
    Be well and stay strong.