Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MG How Is The Pandemic Still Affecting Your Life?

• How Is The Pandemic Still Affecting Your Life?

Posted by bns-staff on October 27, 2022 at 8:00 am

Almost three years into COVID-19, life looks different for everyone. Some have gone back to their pre-pandemic lives and habits while others are still taking many precautions. Personally, I go out a bit more than I did a year ago, but I still wear a mask when I am indoors. 

How much is the COVID-19 pandemic still affecting your life? Does it still factor into your decision-making when it comes to social activities or attending medical appointments? What does your current “normal” look like?

Tim replied 5 months, 4 weeks ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • prosper-abusah

October 28, 2022 at 11:47 pm

As a heavily immunocompromised person , I still take a lot of precautions . I wear mask when I leave my house . I don’t go to social gatherings . My decision to go to places is made on the basis of not many new cases of covid in the community is reported . When the numbers are very high I take strict precautions .

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 24, 2023 at 2:16 pm

We still take strict precautions and will continue. FFP2, disinfection, home nesting 🙂

• MikeS

April 30, 2023 at 5:23 pm

As long as I am taking Prednisone I will continue to mask in crowded and/or poorly ventilated public buildings, particularly as long as COVID continues to be a thing.  Basically I only go out to shop for groceries/necessities.  It’s easy to manage since I’m retired, but it still severely limits having any social life (restaurants, movies, etc.). I also refuse to travel in any vehicle (plane, train, bus, etc.) other than my car.

• delia-hernandez

June 16, 2023 at 11:45 am

The truth is, it deeply affected my life. But I’m not someone who dwells on the past. I prefer to focus on the present and manage myself as best as I can towards the future.

• john-shanks

June 16, 2023 at 3:13 pm

I still wear a mask when I go out. I avoid stores like Home Depot because of the animosity of the other customers to the mask. (Verbal abuse and physical assault). People think its political. I hope it is just Florida. Travel using our car. I will soon travel by air, just goung to mask up and hope.

• MikeS

June 16, 2023 at 4:26 pm

I’m currently taking Prednisone.  I recently started wearing my mask only in public places that are crowded (indoors or outdoors) or poorly ventilated (indoors).  For example, when I go to Target, which is spacious and well-ventilated, I only mask up during crowded holiday shopping days when aisles are crowded and check-out lines are long. I also wear a mask when getting a haircut

I am also wary of getting close to anyone whom I don’t know well, especially if they seem like they might be even a little sick, and will mask-up.

• marguerite-thibeau

June 16, 2023 at 7:48 pm

I still take full precautions, use KN95 masks inside or out. I watch the sewer water counts, plan carefully to avoid busy times. I hate that even Cancer centers o longer mask. It dries me crazy that medical workers don’t mask.  My local family are very careful as we all have autoimmune issues.  We have not gotten Covid, but those who weren’t careful have had it once or twice.

We started masking when the first cases began.  We haven’t had any flus or colds.  I will always mask, the benefits are well worth it.

• marlene-laird

June 21, 2023 at 3:17 pm

My husband and I stay home.  We only leave the house if going to get our blood drawn for labs, to a doctor’s appointment we cannot do by phone, or to our grandchildren’s birthday parties.  We buy all of our groceries and other things we need online and have it either delivered by Instacart or shipped to us.  We also take vitamin D3 pills twice a day.  Neither of us have had a COVID shot and do not plan to.  I have MG and take Mestinon.  He is disabled from neck surgery.  Neither of us have had COVID nor the flu or sinus infections.

• Tim

October 1, 2023 at 9:10 am

Our life is the same as always, though shed of the pandemic paranoia. I am considered immune-compromised by the treatments and medications I’ve taken the past few years, but that has not deterred me from enjoying life and the presence of others. I never wore a mask (difficulty breathing) unless it was required (visiting folks in the hospital, rehab, and Church for a while).

We attend Church every week, a bible study on Monday evenings, and enjoy the company of others at restaurants and theaters. No, we do not live fearfully nor isolated. I did not and will not get vaccinated for “protection” of viruses. I’ve gotten the flu 3x in the past 4 years and treat it as we always have, with rest and staying home.

I’m 70 years old, have work-related knowledge and experience in Virology, so my decisions were based on personal knowledge, not from the new media. While some feel more comfortable with other tactics of protection, I’m perfectly healthy with mine.

BTW, consider risks from vaccines when immuno-compromised.