Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Homeopathy and Myasthenia Gravis

• Homeopathy and Myasthenia Gravis

Posted by Jodi Enders on January 17, 2023 at 4:30 am

Homeopathic practices, or alternative medicine, are not scientifically proven to improve Myasthenia gravis symptoms. 

Have you found any homeopathic remedies or treatments that have helped improve your unique case of MG?

What works for you may not work or be safe for everyone. Always consult your doctor first and keep them involved with your homeopathic journey despite their possible resistance. 

– Jodi, Team Member

Delia Hernandez replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • June Robertson

January 18, 2023 at 8:42 pm

had MG for over 25 years when I visited a classically trained homoeopath in Australia where I live. I worked with him for several years and followed his instructions carefully and gradually was able to come off Mestinon and gained sufficient strength to become a massage therapist! I had been on approximately 5  x 60mg Mestinon prior to this. (Before the thymectomy 20 years before, I was taking 20 tablets+ per day so I had been a seriously ill person). I had never ever taken Cortisone which probably would have made my treatment much more difficult.

Yes, it can work, but you need a skilled practitioner and you need to understand the principles of homoeopathy and to be patient.  Some years later, and now at 78 years, I take tiny amounts of Mestinon when needed. I think Covid may have added to my autoimmune difficulties.

• Peter Brolese

January 18, 2023 at 9:33 pm

Wow, I am actually dismayed that homeopathy is being mentioned as a treatment alternative on a legitimate medical website. I do believe that could be alternative treatments that may aid in relief of MG symptoms but to include homeopathy in any legitimate discussion borders on quackery. Homeopathy is simply water. If water could cure my MG I would gladly leave prednisone, ivig and immunosupressants in my past. I have drinken a lot of water in my life and it never helped my MG.

• Wayne Eisen

January 18, 2023 at 10:45 pm

Dear June,

Your experience is amazing… especially becoming a massage therapist! That requires exceptional strength.

Can you please elaborate on aspects of the homeopathic treatment that you had?

Wayne

• Nestor T. Wirstiuk

January 19, 2023 at 10:01 pm

Do not laugh off alternative medicine.  Before I sought out the right alternative medicine doctor I had difficulty walking, chewing food, swallowing, double vision, and speaking.  I was on Mestinon but it barely helped.  The theory behind using alternative medicine is that the gut is often the source cause of many auto immune diseases.  I was tested to see what my body chemistry was like and what, if any, food or other sensitivities I had.  The testing was extremely detailed which included blood, saliva, stool and urine.  I was not allergic to any food groups but showed some high sensitivity, specifically gluten and dairy.  I was told to eliminate both (down to zero intake) from my diet and was put on various supplements (not prescription drugs) to balance other issues.  Not easy as gluten and dairy are in almost all processed foods. They stated that they could not cure MG but could reduce symptoms to the point of not being bothersome.  I was skeptical, though decided to continue with the program. Expectation was that I would see a significant change within six months.  Not in my case until month nine. Almost all symptoms were reduced to the point that I almost felt normal.  That was six years ago and today the worst I get is a droopy eye lid.  Still on a low prophylactic dose of Mestinon, one 60 mg daily, recommended by my neurologist in case of a reversal. I never abandoned traditional medicine, but found results with the right alternative one.

• June Robertson

January 22, 2023 at 9:18 pm

Nestor, that is interesting re your sensitivity to dairy and gluten. My homoeopath certainly advised me to avoid both and it made a huge difference, especially the avoidance of wheat. So good to know how well you are.  June

• June Robertson

January 21, 2023 at 9:38 pm

I believe there is no reason why alternative therapies cannot be successfully combined with medical treatments and in my case I have used both. I was so impressed by the help I received from a homoeopath that I trained in herbal medicine, massage, kinesiology, reiki and some oriental medicine techniques.(My background is psychology), plus I did homoeopathic first aid which is useful for acute situations. There is no simple solution for MG and I feel sad reading of the great difficulties which many of you have. I had already had a thymectomy many years before I visited the homoeopath, and had it not been for that medical intervention I probably would have died. Homoeopathy is a subtle  energy medicine(no, not “just water”), has been around for well over 200 years and works on the principle of “like cures like”. It looks at the causes of the symptoms, both physical and mental. Because the remedies are tailored to the individual, the remedies chosen for you might be different from those chosen for me. That is why you would need a classical homoeopath to help you. There is an International Academy of Classical Homeopathy which, I imagine  would help a patient find trained practitioners. Homoeopathy is well known in Germany, in India and the UK, and I believe is used by the British royal family.

• Frank

February 1, 2023 at 8:22 pm

Hello,

Please ignore those who say that homeopathy is quackery or just water. Homeopathy has been in use for a very long time and has been used very successfully. My recommendation would be not to rely ONLY on homeopathy, but to use it with traditional medicine. Do a little research about how homeopathy works and what its history is. What happened in the US is the AMA which for years revoked doctor’s licenses for referring people to alternative providers like chiropractors and practitioners if homeopathy. That has changed. So, use a bit due diligence and then enjoy what homeopathy can do to help.

Love and Light,
    Frank

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 9, 2023 at 4:44 pm

I have had MG for just over 30 years. I had a malignant Thymoma. Thymectomy and radiation therapy and lost the use of my left lung. I take 3- Mestinon 180 mg Timespan, 3- 60 mg, 2- 500 mg cellcept, 700 mg DMAE supplement and Ultomiris treatment. I had my third loading dose January 30. I have been on prednisone and went from 175 to 265 pounds. I didn’t have the strength to carry the excess weight. I was taking 60 mg five times a day to start and prednisone every two hours.
    They had to ween me off of the prednisone over two years. I have had plasmapheresis 4 time and IVIGG 5 times. My MG has been a roller coaster ride for sure. I am doing well on my current treatment.
    One thing that I learned early on, is that everyone with MG have one thing in common. We can take each others medication, but at different dose. Everyone has different level’s of MG. No two people will have it the same. What works for one, won’t necessarily work for the other. Homeopathic or other wise. I was part of a study group and they found out that it can be hereditary and skip several generations.
    The one and only thing that I can tell anyone is, never give up. No matter how down you get, keep searching for the treatment that works for you. Whatever treatment that you try, just keep trying.
    The one thing that I have recently started, is the DMAE Dimethylethanolamine. It is an all natural supplement and increase’s the acetycholine in your body. This is the signal that transfer from the nerve to the muscle receptors. The C5 antibody is what attacks the acetycholine to reduce the signal to the muscle. Mestinon helps fight the C5. The more signals from to muscle the more likelyhood of strength. So far it is helping.
    In closing, just keep trying whatever works and when it quits working, move on to the next treatment. NEVER GIVE UP! Something will work. Take care and God Blees evreyone.

• Kathy

May 24, 2023 at 6:19 pm

“one thing that I have recently started, is the DMAE Dimethylethanolamine. It is an all natural supplement and increase’s the acetycholine in your body.”

Something I’d like to discuss with my doctor!  Thanks for sharing!

• Frank

February 9, 2023 at 4:49 pm

Dear Robert,

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m sooo sorry you have had such a hard time with your myasthenia. Your NEVER GIVE UP attitude is a good reminder for all of us. Thank you!!

Love and Blessings,
    Frank

• Delia Hernandez

June 30, 2023 at 5:38 pm

Homeopathy and alternative medicines help me a lot with stress relief, which I find beneficial.

• Delia Hernandez

July 7, 2023 at 10:40 am

It is also important to mention that many diseases are manifestations of our own mind, which is why mental hygiene is crucial. Avoiding stress and practicing relaxation is essential.