Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Feeling Jealous of Those Who Can Do Things You Can’t

• Feeling Jealous of Those Who Can Do Things You Can’t

Posted by bns-staff on August 17, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Jealousy is never a good thing, but I have definitely felt it at various points in my MG journey. At some of my lowest moments, I have been jealous of those who don’t have to worry about a rare disease like MG. Although I quickly snap out of these emotions, I still feel them strongly for a short amount of time.

Have you ever felt jealousy towards people who can do things you physically can’t? How do you handle those feelings? What strategies do you use to work through those emotions?

valerie-hulse replied 2 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 18, 2021 at 7:46 am

When I was first diagnosed with MG I was at a loss. I didn’t understand what was going on with me.
    Not being able to “Do” was very foreign.
    I was used to working 8 to 9 hours a day. Driving from Brooklyn to Lake Ronkonkomo.
    I watched my friends go to work, enjoy themselves,. I couldn’t.
    I resented GOD, having taken from me what I had always enjoyed.
    I still at times feel pangs of jealousy. My wife reminds me what we have, I quickly remind her of what I lost. I still need someone to speak with. Not easy being alone

• francisw

August 18, 2021 at 1:48 pm

I too find my energy for living has changed dramatically.  I won’t preach God stuff to you.  But never loose hope.  In my opinion the doctors don’t know it all.  I am researching everything and anything to see how to improve my quality of life.  I too have had to reset all my priorities and redirect my limited energy.  Keep trying I believe persistence is the greatest tool when life is no longer easy.

• mariamartin

August 18, 2021 at 7:38 pm

I, too, find myself resenting those that can do.  It is very difficult when your independence is taken away.  Most days, I can’t drive.  (Some days, I can’t walk.) I don’t like myself when I feel jealous, but I tell myself it is normal to some degree.  I really hate when it is my husband I find myself resenting and being jealous of.  He does so much for me, but that is not what I want.  I want to be the person who can be active with him and my friends. I try to remember all I have and all I can do and be thankful for those, but I’m not perfect, and often have imperfect feelings.  I’m not sure how to overcome them and hope I figure it out soon before the next wave hits.

• john-ulfelder

August 18, 2021 at 10:38 pm

I’m not really jealous of others.. I’m just discouraged that I can’t do some of the things I could do or not do them as well as I could before MG. Makes some basic things slower. Have to string tasks out step-by-step.

• steve-h

August 18, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and had to retire early from a career in law enforcement.

I went from 12 hour days to retirement seemingly overnight. It was and still is VERY difficult!

My symptoms have been all over the place; from not being able to swallow or even hold my head up to having occasional days where I feel “normal”.

As to the question at hand YES I get jealous! I was 49 and looking forward to a REAL  retirement! Not driving for Uber Eats because it’s the only job I can turn on or off depending on my symptoms!

• valerie-hulse

August 20, 2021 at 7:42 pm

I am recently diagnosed with MG at age 48 and this changed my whole perspective on this issue entirely. While I do wish I was in perfect health, and pray for my recovery every day, I see so many, many people, some my own age, some much younger and some not much older, going through mental health issues, hospitalizations, cardio, gastro, onco, family problems, parents, kids, jobs, devastating legal issues, you name it. Everyone is fighting their own battles. I know quite a few people who look great on the outside, but in reality are so much worse than I am. They do things one day and are in excuciating pain the next day. They overstate or make up their facebook adventures out of sheer dispair they are in. I truly do not believe there is any reason to be jealous of anyone at all. I try to focus on the positive and remain hopeful and grateful.