Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Difficulty Doing Paperwork at Appointments

• David S

February 8, 2023 at 1:14 am

I always take my DW, Carol, with me to all appts.  I am fortunate that she reads most of the stuff and helps me ask questions.  We always have lots of questions.  She also has a better memory than I.

I suppose if I did not have Carol, I would ask them to read for me.  So much printed text is too small.  Mainly due to my DV I think.

Scott

• Douglas Manning

February 9, 2023 at 4:19 am

I have a two-part strategy to help with these paperwork jungles.

1) Like David in this thread has said, I am also most fortunate to have my spouse attend almost all appointments with me, so I begin forms and she completes them if I tire or cannot see well enough.

2) I am able to keep most of my medical care within the same medical system, and our system (Geisinger in Pennsylvania, USA), has a marvelous electronic patient records system. This allows us to print out a complete abbreviated health summary. This way, I just put my name on whatever form I am asked to complete and just write in “see attached health summary.”

My spouse and I often wonder if the physician we visit EVER looks at these forms that are often completed hastily before an appointment. So the attached printed summary is more complete and legible.

• Irene Hand

February 9, 2023 at 5:08 pm

I usually am alone for doctor appointments and have difficulty reading the documents on the electronic pad handed to me so before my appointments I pre-checkin online where the documents can be enlarged. When I mention I can’t read documents, staff usually is accommodating.

The best thing that has helped me and also doctors  appreciate when I hand them an updated medication list.  It brings the focus to recent changes, or a discussion about changes that need to be made.