Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jodi Enders
      Keymaster

In a publication on our site, Megan talks about her experience with chemotherapy to treat their Myasthenia gravis, https://myastheniagravisnews.com/columns/chemotherapy-myasthenia-gravis-cancer-hair-loss-side-effects/. Chemo will not cure MG but can be used as a treatment to help suppress the immune system. 

Have you undergone chemotherapy for your MG? What challenges did you face? Did it help you?

Diana L Burgess
      Participant

When I first started on chemotherapy. I had little side effects. The only medicine that I couldn’t take is imuran. It made me very sick. So my Dr put me on iv infusions which I don’t have any problems at this time. I do have chemo curls which I didn’t have before.

I had a course of Rituximab 4 years ago and have not had a crisis or hospitalization since. I have since remained stable with low dose Prednisone and weekly IVIG.

Deb Couraud
      Participant

I am on Rituxan every 4 months IV now with low dose Prednisone, Mestinon 60mg 3 x’s a day, and IVIG every 3 weeks by Infusion RN. Imuran caused me so many side effects I was miserable and no quality life. I had to get off of it. I was in the hospital 3-4 times a year until Rituxan. I am grateful to feel better since Rituxan the best I have been in 5 years. I have had Plasma exchange had relief of symptoms but it was not lasting more than 4-6 weeks. There are other chemo drugs in use to treat gMG and new ones on the horizon. My neurologist is awesome and has 100% of my trust. I am grateful to be diagnosed and have a treatment team that listens and are aware of all treatment modalities currently used and under studies.

I am so grateful of Methodist Hospital Neurology in Houston. I went to 3  hospitals with Neurology before I was able to get a diagnosis. It should have been an easy assumption with Stage II Thymoma and Sternotomy for the cancer to remove it. It wasn’t.

Deb Couraud
      Participant

I am on Rituxan every 4 months IV now with low dose Prednisone, Mestinon 60mg 3 x’s a day, and IVIG every 3 weeks by Infusion RN. Imuran caused me so many side effects I was miserable and no quality life. I had to get off of it. I was in the hospital 3-4 times a year until Rituxan. I am grateful to feel better since Rituxan the best I have been in 5 years. I have had Plasma exchange had relief of symptoms but it was not lasting more than 4-6 weeks. There are other chemo drugs in use to treat gMG and new ones on the horizon. My neurologist is awesome and has 100% of my trust. I am grateful to be diagnosed and have a treatment team that listens and are aware of all treatment modalities currently used and under studies.

I am so grateful of Methodist Hospital Neurology in Houston. I went to 3  hospitals with Neurology before I was able to get a diagnosis. It should have been an easy assumption with Stage II Thymoma and Sternotomy for the cancer to remove it. It wasn’t.

Deb Couraud
      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account