Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Hair color. Does it bring on symptoms?

Tagged: ,

• Hair color. Does it bring on symptoms?

Posted by Jennifer Thompson on December 4, 2023 at 1:26 pm

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a flare with coloring or highlighting their hair? I have not however I am trying to pinpoint chemicals that’s may contribute.

Thank you!

Jen

Tina replied 5 days, 23 hours ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Lynn swenson

December 6, 2023 at 7:41 pm

I’ve never noticed anything, but my hair grows really slow

• Jodi Enders

December 10, 2023 at 11:03 am

You may be interested in these studies if you have yet to come across them: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4389085/, https://www.palomahealth.com/learn/autoimmune-disease-hair-dye.

• Jodi, Team Member
  • Jennifer Thompson

December 10, 2023 at 3:19 pm

Thank you! I actually think I found a solution for the time being. A hair topper. It’s like a partial wig that goes on top. But I will read what you sent as well Jodi. Thank you.

• Tina

May 11, 2024 at 7:22 am

I talked to my dermatologist about frequent dyeing since my hair was falling out and not regrowing. She said there’s no scientific studies linking dyeing to it. She said she couldn’t treat me internally since I have MG and am already on meds for systemic inflammation, but that the other concern was nutrition for the hair and my nails which are splitting. She gave me a steroid solution for my scalp and said to try Nutrafol. She said if I could take individual supplements instead since my multivitamin already had a lot of the same ones. So I take Centrum and Olly gummies since they have most of the same ingredients for a fraction of the price. When I went back in 3 months she said it was definitely growing back. It’s been 6 months now and even my family has noticed it’s growing in, and my nails ate stronger. I still wear hats, wigs and wide headbands to protect my scalp from the sun, but I’m much happier now and sometimes wear no head covering online, at least when I’ve dyed my hair