Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments What is the safest way to get a colonoscopy when you have gMG?

• What is the safest way to get a colonoscopy when you have gMG?

Posted by Lisa on May 2, 2022 at 1:14 am

What is the safest prep option?  Because I also happen to have Variegate Porphyria, I cannot have any sulfates.

Philip Callas replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Barbara E.

May 4, 2022 at 9:50 pm

About a month ago, I had a colonoscopy and tried my best to avoid problems. This was not my 1st colonoscopy by a long shot. But, my others weren’t performed while my MG symptoms were uncontrolled. I scheduled my appointment to be 2 days after my weekly Ig infusion and followed all the prep instructions carefully. Before the procedure. I spoke to the GI doctor and anesthesiologist about my MG and explained how certain medication (including many anesthesias). I was given the OK to continue taking my pyridostigmine with a little water up to the start of my procedure.

Unfortunately, my MG symptoms greatly increased for several weeks after the proceedure. I couldn’t open my eyes and had trouble controlling my limbs (making walking extremely difficult). I assumed that it was because of the anesthesia used (couldn’t find what was used in my medical notes). During my next MG appointment, my doctor said that he thought my symptoms increased due to the “trauma” of the procedure, which might be impossible to avoid because of my twisted colon.

So, I decided to let the GI doctor know about my reaction in the hope that my next time (in 3 years) can be handled differently. Meantime, I plan on seeing how orhers deal with things like this for future reference.

• Philip Callas

May 5, 2022 at 12:12 am

I have had success using propofol as the drug to put me to sleep