Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Travel Restrictions With Medical Marijuana

• Travel Restrictions With Medical Marijuana

Posted by Jodi Enders on October 11, 2021 at 5:00 am

Hey everyone! I have survived the first two days of my travels. However, I rely on medical marijuana regularly to help control my anxiety and body pain. Still, it has been a crucial component in combatting my weight loss due to MG treatment. So I have been struggling with withdrawal symptoms, which doesn’t kick off a trip well.

If you are unfamiliar with medical and recreational marijuana laws, they are independently running programs by states. States with recreational use allow those above 21 with an ID to purchase. Therefore, when you enter a new state, you are under their marijuana jurisdiction rather than the state in which you live. So if you have a medical marijuana card, states that do not have recreational marijuana will not allow you to purchase from their medical dispensaries. However, some states will enable a visitor pass for those with a medical marijuana card, but most of those states already have recreational.

If you are a medical marijuana user, how does your MG react without it when you travel to a location in which it’s illegal? Do you get MG symptoms returned in addition to withdrawal symptoms such as anger, irritability, anxiety, insomnia, anorexia, depression, restlessness, headaches, vomiting, or abdominal pain?

Jessie Micheal replied 2 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Troy

October 19, 2021 at 7:37 am

Jodi,

I have been a medical marijuana patient for over 7 years. I understand your struggles. I too take it to help with anxiety, pain, headaches, and probably a few other things I am unaware of. It does play a big part in my travel decisions. I rarely travel to a state that doesn’t allow recreational use. When I do, and I am unable to obtain any, then I can suffer some anxiety, sleeplessness, and restlessness. The only things I have found to help are food, sweets, and alcohol. I don’t notice any MG change without it, but I keep those trips to a minimum. Hopefully soon it will be legal on the Federal level & our issue will be solved.

• TheresaG

October 20, 2021 at 8:06 pm

Jodi,

I wonder if a prescription for Valium would work for you.

i find just a 1/4 tab if a 5mg Valium works for those moments if anxiety and sleeplessness, aches etc.

it would very likely help with any withdrawals you may experience.

used sparingly it does not cause addiction or other negative symptoms.

May I ask what MG treatments cause weight loss.

im fighting the weight gain from prednisone. Currently just pred and mestinon on board.

‘considering IVIG.

‘Thanks, happy travels.

• Amy Cessina

October 21, 2021 at 3:18 pm

I wouldn’t use it because I don’t want to inhale anything into my lungs. I don’t like smoking. I really not into edibles, oils etc. I think I’m old school. But I have no doubt that it has benefits and if it works for you that’s great. My friend took it to gain weight during chemo.  But agreed during travel maybe some type of sedative that the doctor approves. This disease can really mess with your head. I can’t seem to kick my anxiety no matter what. Maybe some day (I hope)

• Jessie Micheal

November 3, 2021 at 4:10 pm

I faced the same issue once, I used medical marijuana for my pains but always got in trouble whenever I am traveling to other states. I have my medical card and also have the doctor prescription but still, they asked me many questions.