Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Sleep study. – are they safe for MG Patients

• Sleep study. – are they safe for MG Patients

Posted by Amy on June 13, 2022 at 4:29 am

Hello,

i am curious if others have done a sleep study in a sleep lab and if my experience was typical.  I had a difficult time at the lab.  My insurance requires me to first prove statistically that I need a CPAP or a BIPAP machine.  I took 90 mg of Mestinon about 1/2 hour before the test began.  I did okay the first hour or so using a  nasal  mask with a cpap.  I actually fell asleep.  I did notice I was having to work a litte harder than normal to exhale through my nose.  The sleep attendant said he needed to raise the pressure something about having to do it, so they could try to isolate the number of times when I was having issues with Central sleep apnea.  He wanted me to try to sleep on my back.  I just couldn’t do it.  I ended up leaving after 5.5 hours exhausted. Terrible headache, dull ache upper back on the right side, sore ribcage everytime I took a breath.  My brother picked me up and I  went home and took my Mestinon and fell asleep.  I woke up a few hours later and felt much better.  They said something about maybe needing to come back, but I am not sure I want to.

Michelle replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Michelle

June 13, 2022 at 4:51 pm

Hi Amy,

Your experience could definitely be typical. I have both central and obstructive sleep apnea and when I had my sleep studies it was extremely difficult to sleep and deal with the mask and the different pressures of the air.

After you are diagnosed, a respiratory therapist will help you to choose the right mask and the right fit for you so that you can sleep more comfortably. Once you have your own CPAP, biPap, or VPAP machine, there is a ramp up setting that allows the air pressure to increase gradually so that it isn’t full blast until you are asleep. I find that very helpful.

It does take time, days/weeks, to get used to sleeping with the mask, but if you need it, it’s completely worth it. I had around 50 events per hour (event is times that breathing stops) and with the VPAP, it is reduced to 1-3 per hour. I feel much more rested than I used to when I get up in the morning.

I hope this helps your decision. Let me know if I can answer any other quetions!

Michelle