Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Releasing Harsh Self-judgment and Embracing Scars

• Releasing Harsh Self-judgment and Embracing Scars

Posted by jodi-enders on July 12, 2021 at 7:12 pm

In my column this week, I disclose my thoughts about my new transsternal thymectomy scar.

It’s a lot more difficult agreeing to a scar than receiving one by accident. We often become comfortable with ourselves over time. Not knowing what we will look like post-surgery can be scary. We may worry about how the physical changes will impact our lives and our interactions with others.

As I move forward with my new transsternal thymectomy scar, I intend to pay close attention to the narrative I tell myself — the negative self-talk.

As individuals with myasthenia gravis (MG), we need to conserve as much energy as possible. So let’s give our minds a break from locating our insecurities all the time. Let’s allow our bodies a break from the unrealistic pressure that society, ourselves included, puts on them. We may need to love our surgical scars a little more to physically and emotionally heal.

Happiness is learning how to live with ourselves without constant judgment. The more we like ourselves, the less validation we will desire from others. I’m gradually learning not to stand in front of the mirror and analyze my reflection, pinpointing every minor blemish I deem a flaw.

It’s OK if there are some days we don’t feel confident with ourselves and our abilities. The relationship we have with ourselves must be nurtured and given quality time — the same as any of our relationships if they are to be successful.

Our scars aren’t reminders to wear heavily but gateways to encourage others to understand us more deeply.

How long do you find it takes you to overcome your scars, both physically and emotionally? Do you have any tips for acceptance and welcoming scars and what they symbolize?

jodi-enders replied 2 years, 9 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.