Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Preparing for Thymectomy Recovery

• Preparing for Thymectomy Recovery

Posted by jodi-enders on May 24, 2021 at 8:44 pm

My thymectomy consultation on Friday went splendidly, and I will be getting the surgery in two to three weeks. Suddenly, I have become more anxious about the process over the weekend than I have yet to be. Not necessarily about complications, I feel confident in my surgery team. I am nervous that the length of the hospital stay will be too much for my anxiety and being driven crazy the following two months over lack of ability and independence.

I am currently seeking to use the upcoming few weeks to plan to make my recovery more comfortable. So far on my list is to have my laptop on a table plugged in at a good height, a shower chair, frozen meals that I can microwave on paper plates, a water jug at my waist height with paper cups. Do you have any post-thymectomy suggestions to make recovery more pleasant? Additionally, how long would you recommend the assistance of a caregiver following returning home from surgery?

jess replied 2 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jess

October 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Hi Jodie, I am currently recovering from a thymectomy that I had last week. I’ve been amazed at how great I already feel and how quickly the body heals. I spend majority of the day in bed or on the couch so I would try set up two areas you can rest to reduce cabin fever/boredom.
    In preparation:

– I spoke with a naturopath to ensure my bloods were in the best place possible, adding in supplementation to help my immune system

– tried to be active each day to build my fitness and strength

– collected some great podcasts or tv series to help with all the time resting

– did a lot of cooking, and asked friends/family to cook gut healing type foods (very similar to postpartum foods) so my freezer was stocked

– I have a toddler so arranged care for her each day with family

– my husband is my carer and I needed help with showering, changing, pain management, meals etc for first week now managing on my own but he checks in. Saying that my MG is mainly facial so you may need help longer depending of the extent of your MG.

– I also did regular check ins with my psychologist to make sure I was in a great space mentally.

I hope that helps and good luck!

• jess

October 20, 2021 at 3:34 am

Just realized this post was a while ago so you’ve probably had surgery by now. Hope all went well.