• Positivity and MG

Posted by bns-staff on July 19, 2021 at 6:08 pm

When I was first experiencing symptoms of MG, I tried to stay positive in front of friends and family who didn’t really understand what I was going through. When I later entered the hospital, they didn’t understand how bad my disease was because I had always seemed so positive to them.

Do people think your positivity equates with being healthy/no symptoms? Why should someone who is “unhealthy” always be negative? Have people assumed something about your health based on your attitude?

francisw replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • francisw

August 1, 2021 at 5:10 pm

I recently told only some in my family that I have an autoimmune disease.  My wife knows it all of course.  Anyway I withheld from family and adult children, grandchildren the specifics including the name – Myasthenia Gravis.  My thinking is I don’t want my relationships to be defined by a disease.   I will not let a victim mentality creep into my thinking.  Yet as you know there is a fall scale war going on in my body.  I think staying positive is about yourself.  It gives me the determination to fight this daily war.  In not sharing my challenges with familiar others I am recognizing two things.  They won’t ever understand the shoes I walk in or the war going on inside me.  And secondly I am avoiding spending emotional energy on soothing them and their perhaps kind hearted daily reminders of my circumstances.