Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Diet, Exercise, and Supplements Over-the-Counter Medications With MG Prescriptions

• Over-the-Counter Medications With MG Prescriptions

Posted by Jodi Enders on June 18, 2021 at 9:00 am

Over-the-counter medicine, known as OTC or nonprescription medicine, is typically safe and effective when following directions on the label and approved by our MG health care professional.

Even for medications my healthcare team approves, I find I usually feel worse than better. I often think this is due to the high quantity of medicines in my body at once.

Do you try to limit the amount of OTC medications you take with your MG prescriptions? If so, or why not, why?

Tom A replied 1 year, 8 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Deb Couraud

July 22, 2021 at 4:59 am

I actually am very cautious with OTC and Herbal medications. My Neurologists has cautioned against prescribed, herbal, and OTC meds because of the effects they can have on Myasthenia Gravis patients.

We have discussed the particular drugs deemed okay for MG patients and he gave me a short  list of those he deems safe and those to avoid. If I have a question I can message him in my chart and he advises me.

• Jodi Enders

August 11, 2021 at 1:34 am

That is wonderful, Deb! Does your neurologist respond to your requests promptly?

• Ronald

August 8, 2022 at 7:24 am

It would be helpful if you would share the lists of does and donts on supplements from your neurologist

• Tom A

August 12, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Many of us are on prednisone which affects bone density if used long-term. That, of course, can lead to osteoporosis which increases the chance of bone fractures. So, the addition of calcium supplements when taking prednisone makes sense. I take this Over-the-Counter supplement (at my neurologist’s suggestion) twice daily: 600mg calcium+400IU of vitamin D3 in one tablet. (Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium so, if it is not included in your calcium supplement, you may want to take it separately.) Though I do not take the B vitamins (B-6, B-12, folic acid) I have read that prednisone increases their loss from our bodies.

• Binaa

August 18, 2022 at 1:35 pm

You are lucky, your neurologist responds. I have been suffering for more than 18 years, but no doctor could find out the actual cause of my I’ll health.It was only 10 months ago that a doctor that too a cardiologist could think of it and asked me to go for Achr antibody test. But the neurologists don’t take it seriously….I have never been able to reach them in bad condition….in a state when I even struggle to go to washroom,my thighs and legs tremble due to weakness