Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Diet, Exercise, and Supplements Optimum time to take Mestinon prior to exercise

• Optimum time to take Mestinon prior to exercise

Posted by amyb on June 5, 2022 at 4:33 am

I recently started physical therapy in a pool.  I meet one on one with a physical therapis and spend about 45 minutes in the water.  My problem is two fold the buoyancy of the water really masks  my weakness and I take my Mestinon every 4 hours and it seems like I can’t  get the timing right so I can manage to get out of the pool without feeling as weak as a new kitten.i love the pool and I can walk on the pool tread mill for 20+ minutes without any joint pain.  Has anyone found an exercise they can do daily that doesnt exacerbate their MG, but gentle on their joints or found a better way to dose their Mestinon to help with the weakness. Thanks

Lou DeYenno replied 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • rina-nel

June 5, 2022 at 2:14 pm

I have mentioned before that the pool is my lifeline in the Summer. I swim up to 20 lengths which is about 10 lengths of a standard olympic size pool. I also find that my energie levels go up quickly and hy keep my wet swimsuit on the entire day. It does effect my muscle weakness and my toes do a merry dance at night but, I take my last mestinon no later than 5 in the afternoon. Helps with the cramps caused by the Mestinon.

• Pup

November 12, 2023 at 3:13 pm

Unfortunately after years of taking Mestinon and a supporting med Pyrodistigmide, I can no longer tolerate stomach issues due to these meds. I understand this is not uncommon for those over 65.

• Lou DeYenno

November 15, 2023 at 2:35 pm

I had been adjusting my Mestinone levels on a regular basis since I began treatment 4 years ago. I finally found a level that works for me…180mg slow acting pill. I take it once in the morning! I exercise on a regular basis doing sit-ups and various positions, repetition and weights on a universal gym. I never seem to get winded by my workouts. If I have a “stress” activity planned, I sometimes take a half of a 60mg Mestinone prior…