• Mental health and MG

Posted by Ari Maayan on July 14, 2021 at 8:15 pm

I was diagnosed with MG about 5 years ago. My introduction into this new event in my life was like being run over by a freight train. I don’t know if anyone else has had this experience but  I haven’t seen anyone on the forum describe my, perhaps unique experience. A few days before the main event I began having severe double vision. Then not long after that I had what seemed to be a full blown stroke. I mean EVERYTHING!!! One side of my face drooping, speech so slurred that my children couldn’t understand me, inability to swallow, loss of motor function in my limbs, blurred double vision. I am a combat disabled Marine Corps veteran and this was the scariest thing to ever happen to me. It took the medical community a month to diagnose me with MG. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, multiple generalized anxiety disorders and personality disorder. I did not take my diagnosis of MG very well. For 5 years now I have been dealing with my mental problems and my MG and it has been a challenge to say the least. I isolated myself from almost the entire world for about 10 years with my mental health issues. Then added on the MG. Fortunately I have had some very good mental health providers and excellent neurologists. I am emerging from my cave and dealing with my multiple issues day to day and I am making some pretty good progress. This forum feels like home to me. Given that our little issue is so rare, a community for us doesn’t exist on every street corner. I am delighted to have found this forum and its members who deal with this MG condition. Anyone else out there who also deals with the mental health issues as well?  I’d like to hear about your success. Thanks.

Thomas Lee Clark replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Thomas Lee Clark

July 16, 2021 at 9:21 pm

Ari, I appreciate this outlet and the education I have received since finding this group. I have not been in combat, I served during Vietnam in theater. Thanks for your service. I got every shot that was needed for world-wide status. I am now taking anxiety meds but after the MG was full blown general. I worked during my most difficult times and retired early after the thymectomy. Still have blood clots and always on-guard for other symptoms. Although I have not had the vaccines the doctors I see leave the decision to me, especially with the phlebitis, DVTs, pulmonary embolism after the thymus operation. Normal is a setting on the dryer, says my wife. I know quickly when I do not take my anxiety meds. Hang in there and don’t let them skate you off the pond. When my MG fired up I was good. I could see twice as much as others and different colors looking at the same object. I spent many hours sitting alone in the dark. Since my “recovery” life went on. I drove 18 wheelers coast to coast for several years. My Timex watch is still ticking. Keep the faith brother. Thomas Lee Clark