Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Medication Provoked Myasthenia Gravis Symptoms

Tagged: 

• Medication Provoked Myasthenia Gravis Symptoms

Posted by jodi-enders on January 4, 2022 at 6:10 am

Have any of the following cautionary drugs provoked your Myasthenia gravis or led to a worsening of symptoms or crisis?

• Amoxicillin (Moxatag)
    • Ampicillin
    • Imipenem (Primaxin, Recarbrio)
    • Penicillin G (Bicillin)
    • Penicillin VK
    • Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim (Sulfatrim, Bactrim)
    • Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Equetro, Tegretol)
    • Ethosuximide (Zarontin)
    • Fosphenytoin (Cerebyx)
    • Pentobarbital (Nembutal)
    • Phenobarbital
    • Methyldopa (Aldomet)
    • Prednisone (Deltasone, Rayos)
    • Methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol, Medrol, Solu-Medrol)
    • Dexamethasone (Decadron, Dxevo, Hemady)
    • Alprazolam (Xanax)
    • Chlordiazepoxide (Librium, Librax, Limbitrol)
    • Clobazam (Sympazan, Onfi)
    • Clonazepam (Klonopin)
    • Clorazepate (Tranxene)
    • Diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Valtoco)
    • Estazolam (ProSom)
    • Flurazepam (Dalmane)
    • Lorazepam (Ativan)
    • Midazolam (Nayzilam)
    • Oxazepam (Serax)
    • Quazepam (Doral)
    • Temazepam (Restoril)
    • Triazolom (Halcion)
    sharon replied 2 years, 2 months ago 10 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • amy-cessina

January 5, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Nope just the malaria drug I took to go to India and iodinated contrast dye for A Ct scan did it to me.
    I’ve taken  a number of antibiotics on the list without any issues. Neurologist said antibiotics that are the bad ones are usually only given in hospital setting.

• raymond-nelson

January 6, 2022 at 9:16 pm

None of these drugs.  My MG started when my doctor doubled my dosage of simvastatin from 40 to 80 mg/day.

• nan

January 7, 2022 at 3:38 am

It’s not on the list, but Gabapentin (Neurontin) worsened my disphagia. I almost choked to death. Thank goodness someone was nearby and Heimliched me!

• norm

January 7, 2022 at 9:19 pm

I recently had shingles and was given gabapentin, supposedly to relieve the pain.  It didn’t, and made me feel really out of it — like all of my systems were depressed, drained. Some websites say that gabapentin should be used with great caution in MG patients. They also say it does not relieve the immediate pain of shingles; rather it’s for posthermetic neuralgia.

After going to the ER, an urgent care office, and my PCP’s office, I finally got a prescription for tramadol, which did relieve the pain. (There’s some hysterical reluctance to give adequate pain medicine these days.)

• sharon-haw

January 7, 2022 at 6:32 pm

None on the list – in fact I’m allergic to some of them, namely all the penicillin, sulfa and erythromyacin type antibiotics. My MG ocular & upper respiratory symptoms appeared 3 days after I started back at work 3 months after surgery for a fractured ankle. After surgery, I had morphine and aspirin for pain, and an antibiotic not on the list but I did have a spinal injection anesthetic for the first time for the surgery. At work, coincidence or not, my boss has untreated MG (she was diagnosed but refused treatment) and we all worked in one room with poor ventilation and 200 people (50 flew in for varying periods from other cities & countries globally). 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with generalized MG based on electromyography, a nerve conduction study, and blood and other tests done at the local university neuromuscular clinic. I also wondered if there was a connection to the first spinal anesthetic I ever had for the ankle surgery, although when my neurologist asked me to think back a few years, I recall I occasionally had issues with lifting my feet towards the top of long flights of stairs and on walks, and would stumble, so the neurologist said that MG may have been present for years at a low level. Not sure what caused it to manifest itself when it did, but comment if anything in my situation sounds familiar.

• abaneezer

January 7, 2022 at 8:11 pm

PREDNISONE: exacerbated symptoms when I began taking it. Had a crisis and ended up in the hospital for 5 days of IVIg. I’ve been told this is common.

NOT LISTED: CLINDAMYCIN: brought me out of MG remission. It’s been 6 years, a thymectomy, 2 rounds of plasmapheresis, multiple rounds of IVIg, 3 crises, tons of mestinon, Prednisone, Imuran, and Cellcept trials… MG is still disabling me; but I’m relatively stable.

• joe-b

January 7, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Nope,

Just the pfizer Covid shot.

In the hospital now for Diverticulitis.

-Zofran

-piperacillin (zosyn)

-hydromorphone ( dilaudid)

Strong stuff but no issues with MG.

Good post,  this disease definitely one the patient needs to know more than the average Dr.  Besides the Neurologists most just cover us for a day in Med School.  Too uncommon.

• MikeS

January 8, 2022 at 12:16 am

I had my first MG episode 2 years ago about 2 days after receiving a cortisone shot and 4 days after getting Shingrix vaccine (shots were 2 days apart). I’m reasonably confident that this shot combination was the trigger.

• norm

January 8, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Whether it’s from a drug, a surgery, some accidental insult to one’s body, or some other blow, my impression is that the body’s defenses (including the immune system) are tired and overwhelmed. They feel like they need to do something to counter the attack. But the “something” they do is confused and not well directed.

If that’s the case, then  deep rest and removal of stress will help, and it does.

I had all of my remaining teeth extracted several years ago. I’ve wondered what my body thought of each of those nerves being torn apart. Is MG the result?

• sharon

February 3, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I received the 2 Covid 19 shots (pfeizer) March & April of 2021. I was diagnosed  in Dec with MG. Only symptom in dec was drooping eye and terrible drainage I thought was due to a sinus infection.now I am on prednisone and Mestinon. Just questioning if there is a connection.