• Joking About Your MG

Posted by BioNews Staff on September 3, 2021 at 8:45 pm

There are times I use humor to make people more comfortable about my MG. But sometimes, when they try to make a joke about it, I get annoyed.

Is it ever appropriate to make jokes about health issues and disabilities? Do you make jokes about your own health? How do you react if someone makes a joke about your condition?

Cyndi DeHoff replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • DocTim

September 3, 2021 at 9:17 pm

As a pastor, I’m in front of people all the time. I have good days and bad. My MG is generalized and affects my speech first of all.  I make the best of it with humor and speak as long as I can do so plainly. Folk take it well and seem to understand.

I have not had others make jokes at my expense and don’t know how I would react.  I’m sure I would not like it and would struggle with a good response. I guess I would try to assess whether they were trying to be helpful or hurtful. Some make poor jokes when they don’t know how else to respond.

I do believe that self-depricating humor works well and keeps you from feeling sorry for yourself.  I think others appreciate the honestly and the attitude.

Laughter is a great stress reliever and ice breaker. It can also disarm the  critic. Use it if you are able.

• Cyndi DeHoff

September 5, 2021 at 2:18 am

I often use humor around others in regards to my MG.  It puts others at ease.  I like to laugh because life is short. Except some days I don’t feel well, and it’s harder to laugh about it, so I don’t. I just try and be honest

I don’t mind people close to me, like my husband and kids, laughing WITH me about MG,  but they haven’t ever laughed AT me about my MG.  Just like I would never laugh AT another person with any other illness or disability.