Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Diet, Exercise, and Supplements Is Meal Prep a Yes or No for You?

• Is Meal Prep a Yes or No for You?

Posted by Jodi Enders on June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am

Knowing my thymectomy is arriving very shortly, I am preparing to have as much independence during my recovery as possible. Preparation has included making numerous freezable meals to have ready. I have cut everything into small pieces and used ice trays to freeze my soups in small portions.

I have had to space out the timing of preparation as my muscles have grown too tired. I recommend not buying all your ingredients at once for this purpose, so they do not go wasted if you are too weak to use them on time.

Have you ever endeavored meal prepping, and if so, what tips do you have to make it manageable with MG?

Marguerite Thibeau replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Craig

June 23, 2021 at 9:17 pm

I find it does help to take advantage of good days to do this kind of thing – being able to pull a portion of chili or lasagna or soup out of the freezer and plop it in the microwave or a pan is a huge win on a on days where fresh food prep is too much.   Depending on the recipe (and the look & cost of the vegetables)  I might buy the pre-chopped veggies at the store instead of doing the chopping myself.  Taking out some of the prep work lets me upgrade to a more complex or interesting recipe without increasing my time in the kitchen, or makes the easy recipes even easier.

I also have a couple near-zero effort recipes I keep handy.   You can make a surprisingly tasty and filling snack or meal with a cup of black beans, a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese, salsa from a jar, a little lettuce, and a pat of plain greek yogurt or sour cream.  Microwave the beans and cheese for 1 minute, throw everything on a tortilla if chewing is not an issue or over shredded lettuce if is.  One dish to clean from melting the cheese on the beans and that’s it.

• Jodi Enders

June 25, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Hello Craig! I am currently one-day post thymectomy, so it is nice to connect with others in this community. I agree that good days need to be embraced, celebrated, and not wasted. Have you ever tried dicer for the veggies they don’t sell pre-cut? Although my hands get weak and I have to alternate, it chops them in seconds. I love that meal prep can ensure proper nutrients when we don’t have the energy or strength for complex recipes. Like yourself, I love freezing meals with beans as they provide protein. I do not always have the power to clean after, so I will fill the dishes with water in the sink. This way, the food easily comes off a little bit later when I feel up to it.

• Craig

June 30, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Congrats on your thymectomy! 😉  I hope your recovery is going well and that it makes a difference for you!

I have a harder time cleaning specialized tools like dicers and food processors so I tend to stick with the one knife that fits really well in my hand and has a nice grip.  I am also a proponent of the “let it soak for a while” school of cleanup, as well as “the dogs can pre-rinse this bowl I think” method!

When I saw the forecast for the heatwave coming in this week I made a big batch of egg salad and a big batch of elbow pasta/tuna fish with some onions, celery and mayo.  I have successfully avoided cooking for the last couple days while having snacks of canned fruit, or the leftover celery with salsa, or with peanut butter.  Zero effort stuff, but as soon as the heat breaks I need to get some more veggies in that mix.

• Marguerite Thibeau

July 18, 2021 at 1:53 am

On good days I also freeze things like chili, seafood chowder, beef stew cut tiny. My son has MCAS and can’t be around when I cook, or even make toast for himself. It’s a great motivator for me. Once a month a get a fresh roast and grind it, make patties and freeze them. We can’t do store bought hamburger. Once a week I make 4-6 loaves of  Milk Bread and freeze them.  When I’m not tending it, I rest. It’s the only carb he can eat. He can’t eat leftovers, so any thing left gets frozen. It really motivates me to stay out of the hospital.  I am grateful for everyday we have together. He has about 10 simple foods he can eat, and no spices.   Luckily he is very appreciative and good humored, the perfect roommate, even if he can’t help in anyway.  He’s the first to remind me to rest, notice if I’m having trouble.

I have swallowing issues so my fav backups are a bottle of Miso in the frig. Add hot water and it’s a nourishing soup or base. I sous vide my meat so it is more tender.  Sous vide soft boiled eggs take around 45-50 minutes, but stay liquid with no solids to struggle with as the whites don’t solidify like eggs cooked at higher heat, the proteins don’t tighten. I can eat them even when I’m struggling with water.  My diet is limited by other health issue. My biggest cheat is occasional ice cream. Who can resist, especially in summer? If I get bowled over by humidity a spoonful or two and a rest help a lot.