Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MG I can’t believe this

• I can’t believe this

Posted by amy-cessina on December 16, 2022 at 8:15 pm

So I had covid in August and the flu in November. Despite the vaccinations for both.
    I have acytylcholine positive MG for 5 years and also  Hashimoto thyroiditis.
    Now after both these viral illnesses I’ve gone hyperthyroid and have Graves. This is a super rare switch. Making my life miserable. Autoimmune diseases are the worst. Bottom line is protect yourself from all these viruses. They just seem to pile other problems in already existing health issues.

nan replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • theresa-l

December 21, 2022 at 12:22 pm

Sorry you have had such a rough time lately.  I had three full doses of the Covid vaccine and had covid.  Not sure where I picked it up but being a virus it could have been anywhere.  While I take precautions I am not sure I can do a lot for protection other than the shots for the flu and covid.  I am up to date for this year and healthy so far which I am very thankful for.

• suzanne-x

December 21, 2022 at 9:44 pm

I’m really sorry to hear this development — autoimmunity is awful. However, while it is rare to have both Hashimoto’s (which I too have) and Graves, I know several people with both. Perhaps becoming more common with more endocrine disrupters in our environment.

I am very fortunate to still be in the “Last Longer” club — thanks to living alone, masking anytime I leave the apt, being vaccinated and trying to keep people 6′ away from me (easier said than done). However, isolation is rather depressing. But I would not want to survive if I contracted covid given all my additional comorbidities.

With you in solidarity.

• nan

December 22, 2022 at 8:52 am

Hi Amy. I have had Hashimoto’s for ages, and for a while there I was hyperthyroid. I had both anti-TPO and anti-thyroid antibodies. When I was given methimazole/Tapazole to counter the hyperthyroidism, I rapidly became hypothyroid. My endocrinologist couldn’t believe how fast the medication made me hypo. So be aware that that could happen, and speak up if it does.

If I had to choose, I prefer being hypo to being hyper. While you are hyper, you might want to avoid iodized salt and if you can, eat plenty of broccoli, cauliflower, and soybeans (all goitrogenic foods).

My endo (not the one who prescribed methimazole) said that he thought my thyroid has probably burned itself out. I did well on Synthroid for a few years but eventually my free T3 was always below the normal range, and I felt hypo, so although I was skeptical about the possibility of it helping, I asked to try Armour thyroid. Armour works well for me, but a while after being on immunosuppressants for MG, I became hyper. We decreased my Armour by half, and I have been fine for the past two years. I am changing over to NP thyroid soon because it is less expensive than Armour. Insurance doesn’t pay for natural thyroid.