Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Have You Gotten Your Flu Shot?

• Have You Gotten Your Flu Shot?

Posted by BioNews Staff on November 24, 2022 at 8:00 am

I recently got my flu shot and my COVID booster at the same time. The day after, I felt so tired I had to call in sick at work. Even though I felt pretty bad for about 24 hours, I’m glad I was able to knock out both vaccines in one sitting. 

Have you gotten your flu vaccine? Did you have any symptoms? Will you get your COVID booster?

suzanne-x replied 1 year, 4 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Jerry Johnson

November 25, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Yes I did get my flu shot. However, I am not getting the COVID booster. I have read articles about the COVID vaccine causing MG. My symptoms started right after my second shot. The flu shot didn’t cause me any problems.

• Amy Cessina

November 26, 2022 at 2:49 pm

I got the flu shot but not the covid booster. About three weeks after my son and I got the flu shot he got a full blown case of the flu. I however had just a sore throat and chills for a day and it never went further. So I was happy about that.
    I don’t know what to believe about the covid shot seems like it’s limited protection for the new strains. Plus I had covid three months ago and three shots already. Continual boosting for me isn’t something I want to do. It’s a personal choice not advice for everyone one. I don’t take immunosuppressants.

• Fred Besthorn

November 26, 2022 at 5:16 pm

Got my second booster end of September. 2022. My bulbar MG was doing pretty good on prednisone, mestinon, imuran and monthly IVIG. By mid October one morning woke up, serious symptoms returned with vengeance. Double vision, ptosis, swallowing, some breathing issues,  slurred speech, chewing etc etc. Worst flair up in years. Still struggling nearly 2 months later. So frustrating. Neurologist wants to start me on rituxan in addition to current meds. Anyone else had this experience? Thanks everyone. So pleased to have found this group.

• pmdwarrior

December 1, 2022 at 12:09 am

I got my flu shot last week and have had no problems.  Not even a sore arm. I just got my COVID bi-valent booster shot today. I have had no problems with past 4 COVID doses and don’t expect any with this dose.

Immunosuppressed with Cellcept over 3 years, I had IVIG for over 3 years, 3 and 4 times/month. Stopped after the June 2022 monthly dose of IVIG because I was having no more progress in muscle strength and energy.  I began Rituxan treatment (and continued on Cellcept) the end of August 2022. Had an IV dose 2 weeks apart and am scheduled for a 3rd dose of Rituxan in March 2023 (6 months later). After the initial 2 doses of Rituxan I noticed a tremendous difference in my arm and leg muscles, energy and my brain clarity at 5 1/2 weeks post IV doses.

It has continued to be a miracle! I have strong arms with no pain and feel so good, I can do multiple things /day without the drag of tiredness and exhaustion.! I wake up and I’m not exhausted and have energy. It’s all good. I feel like I am getting my pre-MG life back again. Not 100% but at least 80% at this time. It’s wonderful.

I did extensive personal research on Rituxan and the immune system before treatment so I have a clear understanding of what Rituxan (a monoclonal antibody) is doing in my body and to my immune system. I also consulted with the neuro pharmacist. Knowledge is indeed power.

• Nan

November 27, 2022 at 4:50 am

In mid-October I had a flu shot in one arm and the most recent Covid booster in the other. No problems except perhaps a bit more tired than usual for a few days. I skipped my weekly dose of methotrexate afterwards so that the vaccines would have time to build my immunity. This was my fifth Covid shot.

• Rob

November 28, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Had both ‘flu and Covid boosters last month. No side effects, disappointed that I didn’t become magnetic as always loosing my keys.

Here, in the UK, ‘flu is beginning to take off. Also, predicted to be a bad winter for RSV. So, be careful out there people.

• June Robertson

December 1, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Two years ago I had my first ‘flu shot ever and contracted shingles four days later. Because of that I did not have the shot this year but got the ‘flu for 3 weeks. Then two months later got Covid but was not very sick as I’d had 2 Astra Zeneca shots(I’m in Australia) then 2 Pfizer boosters. I also had the Lagevrio anti viral which worked quickly and well. But after that an arthritic disorder was triggered(Polymyalgia?) which is painful and unpleasant. Then I got pneumonia which made me very tired and breathless. I then had 2 lots of antibiotics. What a tale of woe! MG is the least of it. I’m now taking lots of powdered vitamin C, some Vitamin D and slippery elm every morning to repair the gut lining after antibiotics. I hope for a better 2023. Oh yes, and I’ve discovered taking Fexofenadine for hayfever makes a huge difference to the joint pains and swelling .So there must be something allergic happening.

• suzanne-x

December 22, 2022 at 9:19 pm

I got the flu ‘& Covid bivalent booster (Moderna) on the same day in September. I wish I’d spread them out because they really knocked me on my behind. I haven’t had any issues with any of the 5 Covid shots, except some soreness at the injection site (massaging immediately after helped) and symptoms that mimic allergies / histamine reaction (congestion, ears plugged up, etc.) — I definitely have mast cell issues, which apparently go hand in hand with dysautonomia. I am exceedingly fortunate in that I haven’t gotten Covid, and I hope it stays that way.