Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Diet, Exercise, and Supplements Have Any MG-Friendly Recipe Favorites?

• Have Any MG-Friendly Recipe Favorites?

Posted by Jodi Enders on October 25, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I thought it would be fun if we shared MG-friendly, pretty simple recipes with each other, full of whole nutrients! This one below you can make to taste and doesn’t have to follow concrete directions. Vegan-friendly has an excellent lemon flavor and has the nutritional component, including all your veggies and turmeric!

Ingredients:

baby potatoes halved

green beans halved

large tomatoes, cut into about six pieces

garlic

green olives

capers

lemon

turmeric

olive oil

tahini

leafy greens of choice

fresh parsley

salt and pepper

Method:

1. Bring salted water to a boil, then add as many potatoes as desired and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until soft. In the last 5 minutes, add the green beans to turn soft. Drain and place aside in a large bowl.
    2. While the potatoes and green beans boil, place a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add some garlic, a pinch of salt, and as many chopped tomatoes as desired (cut into about 6 pieces per tomato if large). Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes soften, then spoon into the bowl with the drained green beans and potatoes. 
    3. Add a handful of leafy greens of your choice, I used spinach, but anything would work. Chop up some green olives and capers and toss them in as well.
    4. For the dressing (make more as needed), combine 4 tbsp lemon juice or the juice from one lemon, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp turmeric, and 1 tbsp tahini. I highly recommend topping everything off with fresh parsley. It adds a great flavor.
    Craig replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Amy Cessina

November 25, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Thank you for your recipe it  sounds very good. I will try it.
    I make a lot of soups with vegetables and beans and some pasta. I belong to an organic farm so I have a lot to put in.  It’s easy to eat and very filling. I use chicken broth but they can easily be made with vegetable broth. I really don’t have recipes I just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot or instapot and cook it. I tend to eat a lot of refried  beans with various toppings.
    Looking forward to hearing others recipes.

• Cyndi DeHoff

November 27, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Both of the recipe ideas sound yummy, and I am looking forward to trying them!  I love to cook when I have the energy.  I also make a lot of soups because they are easy for me to chew.
    I now like to make big batches of things to freeze some leftovers for low energy days. I make this base tomato pasta sauce that is good by itself or easy to add meatballs or veggies or even as a thin pizza sauce.

6 lg cans of peeled Roma tomatoes or fresh tomatoes are great too when in season.

1/2 of head of garlic- I like alot so adjust to what you like .

1 onion chopped

big bunch of fresh basil chopped

Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil and a little butter.  I quickly squeeze out the seeds of the tomatoes then add them to the pan.   I break up the tomatoes with the spoon as they cook.  And salt and pepper to taste. Finish with the fresh basil.
    Toss with your favorite pasta and fresh Parmesan cheese. Sautéed mushrooms or other veggies are good to add also.

This sauce freezes well in ziplock freezer bags

• Craig

December 5, 2021 at 9:37 pm

This is a near-zero-effort meal in prep and cleanup that I like if I need a break – black bean burritos. There’s a surprising amount of flavor for how little goes into it, and if you care about those things it’s vegetarian, relatively high in fiber & low in carbs.

ingredients

1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained

3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Tortillas or high-fiber sandwich wraps

Salsa

Sour cream or plain greek yogurt

Shredded lettuce

Hot sauce, if desired

1. Place the beans and parmesan cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until warm, about 1 minute.  Cover the tortillas with a damp paper towel and microwave to warm them, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

2. Divide fillings across tortillas. roll them tightly.  If you’re making multiple small wraps, roll them up in aluminum foil to help keep them warm and keep all the fillings in.

So basically, microwave the beans and cheese together and put that mix on tortillas with topping of your choice – hot sauce, salsa, sour cream, etc.  The parmesan cheese sets up like cement in the bowl after it gets heated so avoid a bowl with ridges on the inside for easier cleanup.

You can do it like a taco bowl too, if you’re using bigger tortillas or wraps.  Heat the wrap, put it in bowl, dump in the shredded lettuce, the heated bean & cheese mix and top it with the toppings.