• Fasting and Myasthenia

Posted by R. Wilson on October 20, 2023 at 3:10 pm

Hello everyone. I’m wondering if anyone has tried fasting to reduce their MG symptoms. I am a 68-year-old male who was diagnosed with MG in 2018. My primary symptoms are swallowing and speaking difficulties and general fatigue.

About once a week I fast for a complete day; and my symptoms are greatly reduced. Fasting creates a condition called “autophagy” which literally means your body is eating itself. What happens is that your body–because it has no food to digest to create energy–will start to consume the damaged cells for energy. This is a good thing because the theory is that damaged cells can lead to all kinds of medical conditions.

In fact the 2016 Nobel Prize in Medicine went to Yoshinoriy Ohsumi for his research on the mechanisms of autophagy.

Of course there have been no studies on the effects of autophagy and fasting on autoimmune diseases and MG. All I can relate is my personal experience with fasting and how it impacts my condition.

Cheryl replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • steve9000

October 30, 2023 at 11:00 am

Thank you for that information. I am definitely going to try fasting also and will post any positive effects on MG

• Cheryl

November 1, 2023 at 4:08 pm

I have been doing intermittent fasting where I give myself 4 hrs a day to eat then can only have tea/water. Typically is 11-1500 during which I choose good protein, lots of veg, mod amt dairy but not a great quantity and in no rush. This is when Mestinon is strongest and can choose to do things before this time and still be able to eat. Also has helped lose weight, cut grocery costs and more likely to keep kitchen clean as later in the day standing is harder. Still feel tired and blah after eating but only having one such time a day is more livable than frequent meals.