• Posted by Amy Cessina on June 12, 2023 at 6:51 pm

I wanted to share something with other MGers. I have a fairly mild case but am bothered by symptoms mostly in my face and throat area. But I do have persistent issues with some nerve pain and pain in tendons and/or ligaments of my arms and legs  that can be fairly painful. About a month ago I started dry brushing my skin of my arms and legs a few times a week just to help exfoliate my skin. But I’ve noticed a marked improvement in my pain in those areas. I looked it up online and it says it’s as good as a massage and it helps your nervous system. I just brought a cheap brush at discount chain which is sold for dry brushing.  Just passing along the information since it has helped me and it only takes a few minutes. Someone here asked about holistic treatments and maybe this falls into that category. The first few times seemed  scratchy but I got used to it. If nothing else it exfoliates your skin nicely. If anyone else tries it please let me know if it helps you too. Thank you.

Tina replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Delia Hernandez

June 20, 2023 at 11:22 am

Well, I’ve personally only done something like this a few times, but if you do feel improvement, it can be good for improving blood circulation a bit. But everyone’s different, so your experience may vary.

• Kate

June 21, 2023 at 2:43 pm

I have neuropathy probably from degenerative discs. Long ago surgery was advised but I could not take it on, it then involved long major recovery. Now my symptoms are more more troublesome, I’ve heard the neurosurgery and recovery is now much less complex but surgeons might not take it on since I delayed it and so I’m a greater risk.

Anyway I use a dry brush it seems to revive numbness and brings  more normal feeling. I wish I could have professional massage and pedicures manicure routinely as that would be better than my farsighted care.

I felt the numbness and weakness was due to myasthenia but physicians never agree on my neurological status. I was given a generalized MG diagnosis in 2005.

Best wishes to all.

• Jane DeLisle

June 21, 2023 at 6:35 pm

You may inadvertently stumbled upon doing a lymphatic massage.  The lymphatic system is the other circulatory system in our body, besides the cardiovascular (blood) system.  The lymphatic system is a huge part of the immune system, yet it is frequently overlooked.  The immune system does much of its work outside of the cardiovascular system, immune cells work their way out of blood vessels and into tissue to repair wounds, attack pathogens, etc.  The fluid around tissue cells is lymphatic fluid, and that fluid eventually works its way into the lymphatic system, carrying immune cells and by-products of immune activity to and through lymph nodes to the spleen to get cleansed, then dumped back into the blood to circulate back through the body.

Unlike blood, the lymphatic system does not have its own heart pump, and instead relies on the contraction of muscles to move the fluid along the lymphatic pathways.  Pain is frequently a result of inflammation, which is a vague term for immune activity of some sort.  Lymphatic massage helps the immune system do its job by helping move the “dirtied” lymphatic fluid out of the tissue and back to housekeeping, and enabling fresh “clean” lymphatic fluid to enter and flush the tissue.  My sister benefited greatly from lymphatic massage when she had a knee joint replaced.

• Kate

June 21, 2023 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for this info about lymphatic massage, I saw that briefly in yoga, meditation and physical therapy in how to cope with pain. It seemed when worked near jaw, ear and neck areas we were massaging near where the instructor told us was lymph system.

My ears perked up as I have so immune system problems. It did help, and dry brushing does seems to help numbness. I’ll incorporate this more now that I know it wasn’t just chance or luck. I appreciate your comments!

• TheresaG

June 21, 2023 at 8:17 pm

I too stumbled upon the lymphatic massage after doing some reading. I have consistent joint pain, back, neck, hips, knees etc. as I had a small intestine resection 10 years ago due to cancer and I think 16 lymph nodes were removed it made sense to me that better lymph flow might improve the lower leg swelling etc. well it certainly does. But like most things, we feel better and discontinue doing it. So need to make it a regular routine. Only takes 10 minutes.  Then I do stretching. It really helps to get the more going. Of course if you are in pain you don’t feel like doing it. It is definitely catch 22.
      a lymphatic massage would be great.

• Kate

June 21, 2023 at 8:44 pm

And that’s exactly the ‘rub’ when I have pain it’s so easy to just procrastinate and tell myself lazing about will help more than trying some well care routine like mindful meditation, breathing exercise, self massage, kind talk to myself instead of self criticism, and this dry brushing and hot/cold shower pulsing sometimes is helpful. Thanks for your help.

• Marguerite Thibeau

June 21, 2023 at 6:54 pm

I want to try dry brushing. My sister has lymphedema and has been trying to find a massage therapist who does Lymph drainage massage. This might help while she is waiting for appointments. Not many places do lymph massage, just some cancer centers.

• Sally W Hardter

June 22, 2023 at 7:43 am

Wow, sounds like a reasonably easy thing to try! My neck, face and lower legs twitch and often tingle but I know it’s MG related, nothing pointing to Diabetes or other problems. I’m interested to try this AND, surely it can’t hurt 🙂

• Tina

November 3, 2023 at 3:58 pm

I have neuropathy and take meds for it. It’s hard for me to imagine brushing my skin because of the pain. I’m sure it would help though based on these posts. I’ve started to massage my face with a silicone brush since my dermatologist said I have systemic inflammation and it’s causing my rosacea to flare again. Since I’ve been doing this, it’s helped immensely to ease the inflammation and empty the pores. So I think this brushing or massaging would help all over