Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Dressing Up for Hospitals and Appointments

• Dressing Up for Hospitals and Appointments

Posted by BioNews Staff on September 15, 2022 at 10:40 pm

When I was first diagnosed with MG, it was hard for to me put effort into my outfits; I just loose fitting clothes that were easy to put on. But as I became better, I enjoyed wearing nicer clothes to my appointments.

Do you like to dress up at all for medical appointments or procedures? Does it give you any peace of mind to incorporate fashion into your medical life?

Bill Suphan replied 1 year, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Norm

September 16, 2022 at 8:43 pm

I like to wear what were my usual going-to-work clothes. They make me feel better.

A little off-topic: I’m going to have a total shoulder arthroplasty in a month. The operated arm will be in a sling for weeks. So then my wardrobe will be whatever I get get on and off one-handed.

• Beth Leibrick

September 21, 2022 at 11:48 pm

I actually wear nice pajamas to all my infusions and pajama pants with a white shirt and sweater or cardigan to appointments and procedures. I am still so sick that I know I’m going to bed or the couch when I return home and this way I just have to remove my shoes.
    I think when I feel better that I will be more interested in getting dressed, doing my hair (I just put it in a ponytail now,) maybe a bracelet and watch…even lip gloss sounds exciting!

Beth

• Robert Davidson

September 23, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Doctors and nurses have seen every conceivable, and many not conceivable, forms of dress.  They just don’t care.  So. I dress comfortably, usually shorts and t-shirt in spring, summer and fall.

• Bill Suphan

September 24, 2022 at 6:41 am

I have learned to get my shower out of the way late in the day before the appointment, schedule my appointments for first thing in the morning, lay out everything I will wear, etc.  I also leave earlier than I used to for the appointment so I can get a parking spot and get in the office and relax before I see the doctor.  I am, like most MGers,  more alert and less tired early in the day which helps make the appointment more productive.  One of the most difficult things for me is getting shoes and socks on and I wear slip on shoes and just struggle somehow with a device that helps with putting my socks on.  I look back now and realize that I have learned a lot in this part of my life dealing with MG.

• Bill Suphan

I have learned to get my shower out of the way late in the day before the appointment, schedule my appointments for first thing in the morning, lay out everything I will wear, etc.  I also leave earlier than I used to for the appointment so I can get a parking spot and get in the office and relax before I see the doctor.  I am, like most MGers,  more alert and less tired early in the day which helps make the appointment more productive.  One of the most difficult things for me is getting shoes and socks on and I wear slip on shoes and just struggle somehow with a device that helps with putting my socks on.  I look back now and realize that I have learned a lot in this part of my life dealing with MG.

• Bill Suphan