Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MG Coronavirus Influenced You to Resent Loved Ones?

• Coronavirus Influenced You to Resent Loved Ones?

Posted by Jodi Enders on May 7, 2021 at 4:54 am

Since the beginning of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, have you started resenting loved ones? Have you found yourself feeling envious of your friends, family, and others your age who haven’t had to take the pandemic risks as seriously as you?

Maybe you are similar to me. Your social media feed is a constant reminder of the restrictions our MG imposes upon us. That throughout the pandemic, your friends have been going to bars, having large birthday celebrations, grabbing spontaneous lunch at restaurants with friends. They don’t have a clear awareness of what it is like to live in fear of the virus because, to them, they believe it will simply be a “cold.” 

Additionally, it might be those you refer to as your close friends, those that have expressed their support for your disease and journey.  I find myself in a state of anger, sadness, confusion, and loneliness when this occurs. Feeling defeated when the people I am closest with are not aware of how their noncompliance with safety precautions affects individuals with compressed immune systems and anyone vulnerable. Therefore I will never have the voice to advocate for myself and others with MG to a broader audience. 

When we find ourselves in this predicament, begrudging our friends and family, we must keep this in the back of our heads. Compassion and gentle understanding that every individual is on a unique journey is an underestimated feat. Suppose everyone learns to love where they’re at in their own journey. In that case, there is no need for comparison or worrying about where anyone else is or does. 

Have you experienced anger, confusion, and jealousy towards those you care about during the pandemic? Have you felt insulted and ignored when you try to bring awareness to the importance of public health to them, but it appears to make no impact, or how does it make you feel? Have you had any success expressing your viewpoints of how pandemic precautions can assist those including MG patients and seen change?

BioNews Staff replied 2 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • BioNews Staff

May 13, 2021 at 3:57 pm

It’s been frustrating seeing the actions of my friends and family during the pandemic. When I’ve tried to explain how dangerous COVID is, they act like I’m the crazy one. And sometimes I do feel crazy! Their responses make me feel like I’m overreacting to the pandemic. But those feelings don’t last long when I remember the people I have lost due to COVID. Like you said, comparing ourselves to others doesn’t help or improve the situation. All we can do is inform the ones we love the best we can and keep doing what we’re doing.