Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Best/Worst Foods for MG Oral Symptoms

• Jonathan A

August 2, 2021 at 11:45 pm

I was undiagnosed with MG by every doctor who saw me  (I was finally diagnosed by a floor nurse whose patients also had all my symptoms).  I finally got to  the MG swallowing problems … as one of my last undiagnosed MG symptoms.   So  I bit my lip, cancelled my CIGNA appointment, and went directly to URGENT CARE at a nearby Banner Hospital to find someone who could diagnose my 8 or 9 symptoms.    I had been doing fine eating till then.  What worked best for me was just naked crushed ground beef that I usually made to put in spaghetti sauces, instant packs of microwave oatmeal cereal, and right out of the can canned tuna.

Then I got in real trouble.  I kept getting Phlegm ?? in my mouth.  I tried to swallow my pills along with the foods listed above  …. and they all came back into my mouth in my Phlegm ??  … as if a ledge or ??? behind my tongue was  keeping me from swallowing and the food going down my throat.   Then the kicker  ….   I seemed like I was getting Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup up my nose  … and not down my throat.

My earlier BAD symptom was in the evenings  … my right hand/fingers were too weak …after a while to eat my dinner.   I had to either put my dinner into the fridge and lie down and regain my strength  ……   or use my left arm/hand to hold up my right hand/fingers to finish my meal.

• MikeS

July 22, 2022 at 4:22 am

For my most recent flare-ups swallowing was my main culprit.  I also have had phlegm/mucous issues in my throat and at the back of my tongue, which made swallowing the much-needed mestinon/prednisone combo very difficult.  I’m still recovering and am progressing well.  However, when I could barely swallow I found bananas to be the most edible/swallowable food, otherwise just protein/veg drinks like Boost and Ugain.  Eventually I was losing too much weight too quickly and got admitted for IVIg infusions for the first time.

• Monica

July 23, 2022 at 3:30 pm

I would choke on liquids a lot in the past before Soliris now not so much but it is still liquids that will do me in.  Best food is anything that is real moist.

• Jerry Johnson

July 26, 2022 at 4:35 am

I would do the same as you. The best foods were grilled or broiled fish, meatloaf, mashed potatoes or anything that would not be considered on the tough side.