Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Back Pain and weakness causes?

• Claire M Walsh

March 22, 2024 at 2:48 pm

As many have replied that they have suffered with bad backs for years, add me to the list! However, I have found that PT helps me ALOT. I started PT in Jan. 2023 after having an Achilles tendon reconstruction, but continued because my excellent Physical Therapist works with my whole body. He notices when my back is not straight due to fatigue, shoulders slumping etc. I just got a renewal prescription from my PCP to continue as we work on strenthening my core, arms and legs, and I feel so much better. Just a thought! Oh, in the past I have needed steroid injections, but since I had to go back on Prednisone, that helped my back too….they just want to get me off of it!

I have an unrelated question to this string, is anyone experiencing jaw pain? This started about 7 months ago when I kind of went backwards. Vyvgart helped me for a couple of months, but then I got not more than a few days to a week of relief so we stopped. I then had 4 rounds of Rituxan in November and will have another 4 in May. They have helped me some, but not as much as I had hoped. Luckily, my main symptoms are all above my neck now…slurred speech, jaw pain and dropping eyelids. The fatigue has faded, I no longer need naps unless I do not get a good night’s sleep. SO..that’s why I used the word lucky. I have an excellent Neurologist and Oncologist working as a team while we try the Rituxan. Next step will be a complement drug if I do not achieve the desired outcome. I take a Menigitis vaccine before the Rituxan infusions and have had no complications. Obviously I will have to do the same if i change to a complement drug.

Please share if anyone is experiencing jaw pain as I have been on Prolia for 7 years for my osteoporosis, and jaw pain can be a complication of Prolia which leads to jaw bone disintergration…oh my!

• Kelley

March 22, 2024 at 6:28 pm

I had no idea that my lower back pain and frequent injury had anything to do with this until I was diagnosed and first took Mestinon. Immediate difference! But I highly recommend trying Huperzine A in place of that. It works so much better for me, no fasciculations, and my back is so much stronger when I take it. However, I do take a break one week out of the month to take Mestinon because Huperzine can supposedly build up in the brain. I feel like it stops working as well at that point anyway, so I sort of do a little week-long cleanse at that point to refresh. It’s hard though, since it doesn’t work as well. I hate that week! Haha. I also highly recommend physical therapy and regular exercise to keep your spine aligned and back straight. Strengthening your core muscles is important too.

• paul spychalski

March 23, 2024 at 9:59 am

Plain and simple, YES! Muscles in your WHOLE body go to hell.

• paul spychalski

March 23, 2024 at 10:02 am

At some point your muscles are so weak the you can no longer do PT.

• Kelley

April 19, 2024 at 10:04 pm

That is true. Properly done, physical therapy is such a great healing tool even for someone who is nearly paralyzed. (My partner had a stroke and is hemiplegic, and the right physical therapy is a total game-changer.) But with MG, we are so easily completely exhausted that even just getting out of the house to go to the PT appointment can be too much. It’s so hard.

• paul spychalski

April 22, 2024 at 10:02 am

Yes it helps but there is no cure, just do the best you can. Pyridostigmine helps me but it gives me bloating and gas. Ask your doctor. Good luck…

Page 2 of 2