Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Are You Ready for a Natural Disaster?

• Are You Ready for a Natural Disaster?

Posted by BioNews Staff on December 1, 2022 at 8:00 am

In the U.S., there have been a few natural disasters this past year. And with the weather turning colder, more could come. 

The more I read about disaster prep, the more I realize how unprepared I am. And as someone with MG, I should have more of a plan in case something happens.

Do you, with your special MG needs, have a plan to deal with a disaster if it hits where you are?

Cheryl replied 8 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Cheryl

August 17, 2023 at 6:40 pm

Hi, very wise to be thinking ahead. Was RN and was prepared for disaster while able bodied and thought I was OK until derecho hit 6/29 and power went out for 2.5 days. Knew not to open freezers at all, open fridge very briefly and not put anything warm in, had battery booster for cell phone, had camping water carrier but water was ok, battery radio, gas stove, get the mestinon quarterly, have candles in lanterns, waterproof matches. I knew not to leave the house till any downed lines were cleared. Disaster training after Katrina was helpful.

I didn’t count on the need for bipap not being met as grid had been so stable here the previous 11yrs. First night wasn’t bad but second night had real trouble breathing, esp since no AC and a bit warm, when called around trying to find place to cool and get power found that no county/city action for people.

When the power came on found the neighboring county initiated cooling/charging centers immediately only needed to drive 45 mi. I really needed a breathing break and was starting to decompensate and couldn’t get help in my own community.

Since then have been raising hell to get better community disaster plan. Have considered a Jackery powersource but the cost for something that may not happen for another decade…

I would recommend looking at your county disaster plan, talking to your public health dept for information that might help in event of emergency.

Cheryl