Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Gabapentin for Nerve Damage – Myasthenia Gravis

• Gabapentin for Nerve Damage – Myasthenia Gravis

Posted by Jodi Enders on September 22, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Gabapentin, which common brands are Gralise, Horizant, Neuraptine, is used to help treat temporary nerve damage after surgery.

However, for those with Myasthenia gravis, Gabapentin is on the list of cautionary drugs. But it can be deemed safe by a medical professional for a patient with MG if the dose is low enough.

Have you been put on Gabapentin to help with nerve pain after surgery, possibly a thymectomy? If so, did you experience any adverse reactions? Or did a health care professional advise you to avoid it because of MG? We would love to hear about your experience.

Douglas F Young replied 2 years, 5 months ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • John Gore

September 22, 2021 at 7:17 pm

I use it, 200 mg for neuropathy at bedtime. Only Med that helps calm the pain and burning. Doc approved but no more than the 200mg.  Have ocular MG, maybe that’s the reason it was approved to take.

• TheresaG

September 22, 2021 at 7:31 pm

I was given gabapentin years ago before MG dx and I had severe pain in rib/lung area and difficulty breathing.
    It was given for chronic back pain.

• Rick B

September 22, 2021 at 7:35 pm

I have been taking gabapentin for anxiety and depression for many years.  I was diagnosed with ocular mg in January. I have been taking 300-400 mg of gabapentin daily since then. No apparent effect on the mg but I think I’ll cut back on the gabapentin to see if my vision improves. I am thankful that only my eyes have been effected. Thank you for bringing up this topic…

• Arlene DeLand

September 23, 2021 at 10:22 am

I was given 300mg gabapentin for Chronic Pain Syndrome after a major car accident and following diagnosis of MG.  I ended up having chest pain.  Looked up the adverse effects of Gabapentin and discovered that it could cause chest pains or tightness in chest.  Took myself off the med right away with a phone call to my pain doc. Arlene

• Daryl Schneider

September 24, 2021 at 11:58 pm

I Have been taking 300 mg 2x daily for fibro  and neuropathy daily for a few years. Neuropathy is worse and my MG doc is ok with increase to help with the pain. We don’t think it is making the MG worse in any way so I am increasing to 3 or 4 times daily now as needed.

• Heather Kaye

November 8, 2021 at 2:57 pm

I have nerve damage to both legs.I believe the damage was caused during TKR surgery,I cannot get my GP to accept this.Anything and Everything that is amiss is always “Blamed ” on MG.  We are all so much more than MG !! I have found  Gabapentin very helpful  and it does allow me to get some sleep.

• Douglas F Young

November 10, 2021 at 10:59 pm

I take it for nerve pain in my legs from compressed lumbar nerve roots. It helps me a lot, and I don’t notice any side effects.