Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Shopping for Clothes Online vs. In Person

• Shopping for Clothes Online vs. In Person

Posted by BioNews Staff on September 28, 2021 at 6:34 pm

When I was suffering from weakness due to MG, I avoided going to clothing stores because I knew I would be too weak to try anything on. Even after my strength came back, I still had a fear that I would fall while attempting to change clothes in a dressing room.

I used to be reluctant towards buying clothing online, but since the beginning of the pandemic, I’ve grown more comfortable with it. I can definitely see how this method of shopping might be better for those with MG.

Do you prefer to shop in-store or online for clothing? Have you had trouble trying clothes on due to MG weakness?

Sharon Haw replied 4 weeks, 1 day ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Amy Cessina

September 29, 2021 at 8:38 pm

I love shopping online. Especially if you use consignment sites. They give great sizing and pictures. If I do go to a store I just bring a tape measure and measure everything without trying it on. I’ve become very good at fitting by looking. Plus I sew so I can alter anything easily if it’s too long or needs tuck at the waist. I don’t miss dressing rooms at all.

• Cyndi DeHoff

September 30, 2021 at 1:03 am

I stick to shopping online now especially since covid hit.  I looking for store with free shipping and easy return policies   I will order two sizes of the same item if I am unsure of which one will fit then return what I don’t want.
    I simply don’t have the energy for shopping malls and trying on clothes in a dressing room

• Alice Moreland

September 30, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Yes I do all my shopping online. And pickup groceries. I was doing a lot of that before COVID but now it’s always. It’s much easier, even though I end up sending a lot of clothes back.

• Ronald E. Clever

October 1, 2021 at 8:01 pm

If I can’t buy it online then I don’t need it.  I was buying my groceries on line before the pandemic for pick up but have since switched to delivery and it is much more convenient.  As for clothes I am a very big man (over 400lbs) so I am very limited to where I can buy clothes.  I have not been able to buy clothes in a mall or regular store for many years and although the designs for the “big guy” leave a lot to be desired I would not go to a store if I could.  It is too hard at my size to change anywhere other than my bedroom which I have set up for me and with the MG it is more difficult.

• gailhunter

March 26, 2024 at 3:52 am

I’ve dabbled in both online and in-person shopping for clothes, and each has its perks. But let me tell you about this one time I ventured into a mens shoe store while out running errands. The experience was unmatched!

• gailhunter

March 26, 2024 at 10:41 am

And being able to try on shoes, feel the materials, and chat with the staff made the whole process enjoyable. It’s moments like these that remind me of the value of in-person shopping. Though online shopping offers convenience, there’s something special about the personal touch you get from brick-and-mortar stores.

btw, link to that store: https://www.kickslounge.com/

• Sharon Haw

March 27, 2024 at 12:00 pm

During the pandemic, I only shopped online and had everything delivered mostly because I’m taking immune suppressants and I find shopping exhausting. I’m a plus-sized woman so it’s always difficult to get the correct fit, so using a measuring tape and online sizing charts, and reading return and shipping policies were critical. I avoided purchasing from online stores where a trip to a germy post office was the only return option. I still found myself with a bunch of ill fitting, poor quality, out dated clothing since online options can be limited. I now shop in person at a better specialty store for plus sized women in the morning when my energy is highest, the germ load has dissipated overnight, staff have time to help me and I don’t try to do too much at one visit.

Grocery stores and pharmacies are busy, high touch environments so I haven’t stepped inside them since I started immune suppressants. My son picks up the few items that can ‘t be delivered.

I really appreciate stores that still offer curbside pick up so I don’t have to enter the store. Having to personally choose an item and returns are the biggest challenges. I usually plan to shop first thing in the morning on their least busy day and if I hear people coughing or sniffling, I put on a Level 3 ASTM surgical mask. For high germ environments like blood testing clinics, I wear an N95 mask.

Shopping malls are also a no-go, unless the store is right by an exit. Some big box stores are quite the hike to shop in and some have their return counters by the entrance/exit and some at the back of the store. I call the store if I’m not sure. I’ve learned to be more careful about what I order online in order to avoid returns.