Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Navigating School and Work Informing Your Employer About MG

• Informing Your Employer About MG

Posted by bns-staff on May 19, 2021 at 7:21 pm

I never thought I needed to mention my diagnosis to my employer, especially since I had been in remission for a few years. Unfortunately, I had a flare-up and needed to take a few days off and see my neurologist.

I felt guilty-I had never taken off more than one day at a time. Because of this, I gave my boss a brief explanation of MG and why I needed to take several days off in a row.

Have you told your employer about your MG? Why or why not?

ronald-e-clever replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ronald-e-clever

October 29, 2021 at 10:28 pm

I am going through that now. He doesn’t seem to get it or doesn’t want to. I fall asleep at my desk frequently and he has given me 3 written warnings. One more and I can be fired and I have worked here for almost 10 years. Luckily I belong to a union and they are working with me to keep me employed.  I have a family that depends on me financially even though I am 61 years old. At times my boss acts sympathetic and other times not so much.

• katherine-collins

November 3, 2021 at 7:16 pm

I had to retire at 62 from work I truly love because of IVIG therapy. A new job came my way and they wanted to hire me. I was very transparent about my therapy and condition and they hired me and will allow me to Work from my bed in therapy weeks.

• ronald-e-clever

November 4, 2021 at 12:34 pm

UPDATE:  It looks as though I will be retiring in 10 months when I turn 62.  I don’t want to retire yet but in all honesty the commute is what is wearing me out.  I drive 90 minutes each way so I will probably try to find something close to home or work remotely.  I have been lucky that my IVIG is done on Friday & Saturday so I only had to take off one day per month.