Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Imuran (Azathioprine) and Side Effects

• John Palatucci

September 26, 2022 at 12:21 pm

H all, i was diagnosed in 2015 with gMG and was put on high doses of imuran50 40 daily, mestinon60 4 daily and prednisone 40mg daily for 4 weeks then tapered down.at present i am taking 3 imuran daily, 3 mestinon daily and 10mg Prednisone twice a week. Tho i do now have mild anemia i do have basil cell carcinoma on different areas of my body, am due for dermatology checkup..my current numerologist suggest i start Ultomiris but am concerned about the threat of severe meningitis so i am holding off on that because it is so new.my wife just started imuran for pericarditis but it to soon to tell how it will affect her. But as for me imuran has been helpful

• Derek

September 26, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Hi John

I was diagnosed with gMG in February 2020, and placed on initial high dose Prednisolone, 50mg every 2 days, tapered down quickly to 10mg per day, together with Mestinon. In mid April 2020 I was placed on Azathioprine; I was due to have blood tests every 2 weeks, but after only 10 days things went wrong. With a temperature of 41oC, I was admitted to hospital. One test they did was for CRP (Creatinine Reductive Protein). It registered at 241mg/kg, when the norm is 0-6mg/kg! I was initially diagnosed with Covid-19, and placed on a secure Covid-only ward, fortunately in a room to myself. After two negative tests (they took 24 hours each at the start of Covid), I was downgraded to  non-Covid ward, but when Covid hit the non-Covid ward I was hurriedly discharged ‘With Sepsis’, on the discharge letter. The hospital stopped the Azathioprine due to suspected Covid, so upon discharge I restarted Azathioprine, only to repeat what had happened previously. So I stopped taking it! I have been on Mycophenolate Mofetil for over 2 years now without any issues. Hope this helps…….

Derek

Cambridge, UK

• Ari Maayan

September 27, 2022 at 1:41 pm

Wow, John,

That’s really scary. Thanks for sharing. Glad you survived it!!!!!

Page 2 of 2