Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips How Rest Builds Back Strength

• How Rest Builds Back Strength

Posted by bns-staff on July 13, 2021 at 5:23 pm

When weakness and fatigue hit, I try to find a place to rest and wait for my body to build its strength back up. Depending on how bad the weakness was, I may have to rest for almost an hour before I feel well enough to move around again.

How do you build your strength back up when fatigue hits? Is sitting down enough? Do you take naps? How long does it take for you to feel better?

rick-federmann replied 2 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • cyndi-dehoff

July 13, 2021 at 7:24 pm

I usually have to lay on the couch with my feet up for about 30-60 minutes.  I watch tv because reading is usually out because of double vision.  I typically don’t sleep because I feel like my brain is awake, however, everything from the neck down needs to rest.

• francisw

August 1, 2021 at 4:55 pm

I usual put ear plugs in.  Make the room dark.  Set my clock timer for 30 minutes.  Try to take a full cat nap.  This may happen 2 to 4 times per day.  On the theory that my body is constantly going thru a workout of sorts,  I also take 1 dose of Post Workout Sports Critical Amino Acids with 8 ounces of water maybe 1 to 3 times per day.  Seems to help,  but I don’t have any scientific evidence or understanding as to why it does for me.

• rick-federmann

August 4, 2021 at 10:49 am

I sit or lay down anywhere that I can be absolutely still for a while. I picture it as quieting my nervous system so that the MG antibodies determine their job is done, high fives all around, move on to something else. And that’s how it feels.  I am totally weak for a while, then I’m suddenly fine, as if someone turned off the MG switch.