Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Experiences/advice for living with MG as a college student?

• Experiences/advice for living with MG as a college student?

Posted by Charlie on March 8, 2022 at 10:01 pm

I’m a college student and pretty new to having myasthenia gravis. I was wondering if there are any other students or people who had MG during their schooling who wanted to share their experiences or provide suggestions as to how to make it a bit easier.

BioNews Staff replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Elaine Roble

March 10, 2022 at 5:43 pm

Hello Charlie,

Living with myasthenia Gravis as a college student can Sometimes be tough. When I was in nursing school, my Myasthenia Gravis worsened due to lack of sleep. No matter how much I planned my day out, even weeks, it was so hard to work a full-time job and go to school full time. I would talk to the instructors and let them know what’s going on. I’m not too sure if you’re under a 504 plan but the 504 plan helps throughout college as well if it was implemented. I would just let my instructors know of my condition and the side effects. I’d also ask them if any extensions can be given or you can ask them if they can accommodate. You can also talk to student services to see if they can help out. But I found myself having to Strategically plan out my days so that I make sure that I get a nap before I start school, even though it was 15 minutes. Just be kind to yourself since you’re doing your best.

• BioNews Staff

March 10, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Hi Charlie! We’re so glad you have found this community.

I started showing symptoms of MG right at the beginning of my second year of college. I was diagnosed about a year later. Eventually, I had to move back home and take a year off. But eventually, I enrolled in a university in my city and graduated.

MG totally changed my college experience. I had to really cut back on social activities, stop drinking and made sure I had time to rest.

I agree with Elaine: I would plan out my days and make sure I had time to rest and get my strength back. Let your professors know if an assignment will take you a bit longer as well. They should accommodate you. Pay close attention to what exhausts you. For me, I couldn’t make long presentations in class because my voice would get weaker and weaker.

At the time, I was really angry that MG was taking away from my “college experience.” But now when I look back at the situation, I ended up having a pretty normal experience. My normal was just different from everyone else’s.

Your health is the priority-once you have a handle on your MG, everything else will sort itself out. I know that might sound lame, but when I was in college, I really didn’t think I would ever be satisfied with my life. But now I’m really happy with how things have turned out.

Please post and reach out if you have any more questions or if you just want to vent!