Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Experience Urinary Issues as a Medicine Side Effect?

• Experience Urinary Issues as a Medicine Side Effect?

Posted by Jodi Enders on August 7, 2021 at 12:31 am

Does anyone experience or have experienced urinary issues while on an MG medication? Common urinary problems to certain medicines to treat MG include:

• Increased urination.
    • Decreased urination.
    • Bloody or cloudy urine.
    • Difficult or painful urination.
    • Frequent urge to urinate.

If you’ve experienced any of the previous issues, what was your MG treatment plan at the time?

Ann Marie Hetrick replied 2 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Sheila Troiano

August 7, 2021 at 1:57 am

Yes, frequency and urgency are sometimes a problem. Also, feeling of not fully emptying your bladder. I find I stop and start. Takes more time in the bathroom than I’d like.

• Jodi Enders

August 11, 2021 at 1:36 am

I am curious since I had been diagnosed with MG a year ago If I notice these effects more as I begin to be more social.

• Joseph Kest, Jr.

August 11, 2021 at 7:18 pm

Yes since I started the CellCept (2000mg/day), Prednisone (25mg/day), and Mestinon (60mg 3Xday) regime, I have noticed an increase in the urge to urinate. Even though I take FlowMax for an enlarged prostate, I am up 3 – 4 times a night to urinate and like Sheila it takes forever to empty my bladder. I have also experienced an increase in urinary incontinence.

• Heather Warfel

August 11, 2021 at 8:53 pm

I have urge incontinence which my neurologist says has nothing to do with myasthenia.  I am on prednisone 20 mg. daily, Mestanon 60 mg. 4 times daily, and cellcept 1000 mg. twice a day.  When I experience a flare, the incontinence is far worse causing me to soak several pads a day.  When I received plasma exchange, there was much less incontinence.  Coincidence?  I don’t think so.

• Ari Maayan

August 11, 2021 at 8:53 pm

I am now taking 300 mg/day of mestinon.  I suffer from frequent and urgent bladder issues during the day and frequent but difficult to get flow at night. I recently started taking nutraceuticals for enlarged prostate although I haven’t received that diagnosis.

• Charles Karcher

August 13, 2021 at 7:42 pm

I have frequent need to urinate through the day.  I take 400mg of ibuprofen before bed and am able to get through the night with 1-2 trips to the bathroom.  I currently take 2000mg of Cellcept, 2x180mg Mestinon long release and Soliris infusion bi weekly.

• Ari Maayan

August 13, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for your response regarding 400 mg of ibuprofen before bed. Unfortunately I can’t take any of the OTC analgesics. I have had my gastrointestinal system completely rearranged by a 17 1/2 hour surgery for stage 3/4 cancer of the esophagus.

• Ann Marie Hetrick

August 14, 2021 at 2:29 pm

I too have had urge incontinence especially when I have a flare. When I feel the need sometimes and I do not go right away I have a problem holding it. This happens especially when I am feeling tired.